V2 Scheduler and Resetting Learning Cards

I think V2 Scheduling is a phenomenal upgrade/option for Anki. It has so many features that I have wanted for years.

However, we have never converted to V2 scheduling because it resets learning cards, and that is problematic for all the users in my family. I keep hoping that eventually a future release of Anki will overcome this troublesome conversion issue. So, instead of just hoping and waiting, I thought I should ask.

Thus, is there any chance that a future release of Anki will fix the problem of the conversion to V2 scheduling resetting learning cards?

For background as to why it is important to us, is because we have been using Anki for 10+ years and thus have deeply mature decks with tens of thousands of cards in review and millions of reviews. The average card interval in my own deck, for example, is about 2 years. Accordingly, when I lapse a card, I donā€™t want to just fully reset that card, so I set the ā€œnew intervalā€ for lapses cards at 35%. I also use customized lapse/relearn steps of ā€œ4 12 1440 4300 7200 12620 21000 32000ā€ and set the min interval at 26 days. So, a lapsed card goes through a robust set of learning steps, before ultimately exiting at either a 26 day interval or 35% of the original interval. This is needed because of the high average card interval.

What this means is that at any given moment, I have a lot of cards in (re)learning. Currently in my deck there are 468 cards in various stages of (re)learning. Add in each of my family members and we push past 1000 cards in re-learning and learning.

So, we all want to upgrade to V2, but we donā€™t want to have this large number of cards and their developmental (re-)learning process lost.

Is there any hope that this conversion process will be fixed in the future?

Thanks and all the Best,
mnhende2

3 Likes

Itā€™s something I plan to look into as I work through updating the scheduler code.

5 Likes

@dae: Thanks. That is great news. Much, much appreciated. Weā€™ll continue to wait before converting to V2 scheduling, and Iā€™ll be glad to beta test when the update to the code is ready.

1 Like

I am in the same position as you, @mnhende2 , though Iā€™ve only been using Anki for three years instead of ten. In my case, I really want to set the ā€œHardā€ interval to a value that makes it useful to me, namely something closer to ā€œAgainā€, which would show me the word once more in the same session, but would register that I knew it to some extent. As it is, I almost always end up just using ā€œAgainā€ or ā€œEasyā€ and having to throw away the finer gradations in between. From what I understand, the V2 scheduler offers what I need, but I would never throw away three yearsā€™ worth of learning encoded in my card histories in order to gain this functionality. Therefore, Iā€™m glad to hear that @dae is planning to look into preserving the card histories when moving to the V2 scheduler.

After writing my previous comment, I looked at this post:

Now Iā€™m confused. That post suggests that the card histories are not wiped out by moving to the V2 scheduler. Or am I reading it wrong?

@Alan: Congrats on three years! Wishing you many more great years on Anki. Among my kids and I, we have collectively over 40 years of Anki use combine.

As for fixing the V2 rescheduling bug, Damien usually has a quite a lengthy list of tasks that he is working on. The good news is that Iā€™ve seen over the ten years that he gets through most of them. I assume this is a big enough issue that would prevent enough long-term users from shifting to V2 that heā€™ll get this one done in the not too distant future. Maybe it will be his Christmas gift to all of us. :wink: Happy holidays @dae .

1 Like

@Alan: I think the rescheduling bug it is limited to those who use multi-day relearning steps. Any card that is progressing through multi-day re-learning/lapse steps, they get reset when converting to V2. Since the average interval on my cards is close to two years, I maintain some of the original interval when a card lapses, but first they go through extensive multi-day lapse/re-learning steps. At any given moment, we have hundreds and hundreds of cards in multi-day relearning steps. If you arenā€™t using multi-day lapse/re-learning steps, then your regular cards will not get reset.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. Iā€™m just not quite sure whether my settings correspond to what you call ā€œmulti-day lapse/relearning stepsā€. My lapse settings are as follows:

Steps (in minutes): 10
New interval: 0%
Minimum interval: 1 day
Leech threshold: 10 lapses

Given these settings, would my cards get reset? Or would you need more information to answer that question?

The guidelines from dae says that one has to "ā€¦ finish all (re)learning steps. In Allan case, he has to finish his 10m step; but he may just ignore it and let the cards be reset to a ā€˜newā€™ state thus repeating the 10m step - which would be not a big deal.

As to your case, have you considered any workaround ?
Are you familiar with "Rescheduling: Rememorize add-on ?

1 Like

I finished out the session, meaning that I shouldnā€™t have any cards left that require a 10m step. I think every card should now require a 1d or more step. Does that mean I should be able to move to the new scheduler without losing any information? If so, I shouldnā€™t need any workaround or add-on.

@Alan: Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, you should be fine. All your lapse steps conclude within the same day the card was missed. So, you will not face any problems. My lapse steps are (in minutes): 4 12 1440 4300 7200 12620 21000 32000. This means that my cards go through a 56 day re-learning process before exiting back to 35% of itā€™s original interval (which for most cards, then jumps the interval back up to about 8 months or so). It is only if you have adjusted your steps to go through a multi-day process, that the cards reset. Happy Ankiā€™ing.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

It was the lack of specificity in the wording of the message (ā€œThis will reset any cards in learningā€) that made me uncertain. Since it might be difficult to make the wording sufficiently clear while still short enough to fit comfortably within a dialog, maybe the message could contain a URL pointing to a page that would tell the user more detailed information.

Note that cards in the relearning queue just lose their remaining steps, they should not be reset to new.

1 Like