Anki 23.10 Beta 5-6

Error
An add-on you installed failed to load. If problems persist, please go to the Tools>Add-ons menu, and disable or delete the add-on.

When loading ‘⁨Customize Keyboard Shortcuts⁩’:
⁨Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt.addons”, line 239, in loadAddons
File “/Users/zachvineyard/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/24411424/init.py”, line 1, in
from . import custom_shortcuts
File “/Users/zachvineyard/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/24411424/custom_shortcuts.py”, line 54, in
Qt_functions = {“Qt.Key_Enter”: Qt.Key_Enter,
AttributeError: type object ‘Qt’ has no attribute ‘Key_Enter’

I think this is coming from QT5. You might want to set the environment variable and start Anki.

1 Like

1- I would like to see information about buttons in image occlusion note type like other buttons in the note editor screen.
For example, when I hover over rectangle button it tells me that button is rectangle and etc.

2- Is there going to be some hotkeys for Occlusion editor?
Like Delete key for deleting, Ctrl+Z for undo, holding Alt and clicking on a box to delete that box and etc

2 Likes

There is a problem that when rescheduling using FSRS it is recorded in revlog as manual scheduling. This disrupts all the statistics of the reviews because the user has a difference between a card reviewed by him and decided to schedule it for a personalized time and a total change of all the cards in the collection.
It disrupts some addons that are based on it like Glutnimate heatmap for example.

It might be more helpful to users’ understanding if the already-selected item in the following menu of the Image Occlusion note type had its mark like the blue line in the pull-down menu of the deck options.

4 Likes

Two users reported a bug to me that is present in both Anki 2.1.66 and also at least in 23.10 Beta 3.

The bug consists of 1) the answer-side of the card being shown right away when a card is displayed, without clicking “Show answer”. Example:

When the user clicks “Show answer” he is taken to the next card (rating for the previous one unclear).

And 2) the “rate your answer”-buttons being shown even though the answer-side of the card has not been displayed. Example:

The examples I received seemed to happen with my somewhat JavaScript-heavy notetypes. Prior to Anki 2.1.66 I never received any reports like this.

The problem doesn’t seem to happen every time but only once every few cards.

One user was running Windows 11 Home. That’s the info I have so far.

Some demo decks if you want to try to replicate the issue on your end.

1 Like

What’s the timeline for the release of 23.10? After opening it I got 13 (!) error messages from Addons that worked fine in the last version. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Besides many Qt5-errors the new versioning schema also causes this line of code to fail:
minor_version = int(anki_version.split(".")[2])

Maybe this would be a good time to make the error message caused by Addons a bit more user friendly? I can about imagine how the average non technical person will react when they are hit with 10+ popups that say “Error” in the headline. Most normies will not read past that and be frustrated and insecure about the state of their collection.

:bulb: How about this?

Couldn’t load [Addon-Name]

This add-on produced an error when Anki tried to load it. If you encountered this error after installing a new version of Anki the author of this add-on probably hasn’t updated it to support this version yet. In any case it’s a problem with this add-on’s code, not with your collection.

What to do: If you don’t want to see this message again during startup you can simply deactivate the addon for now or go back to a previous version of Anki which you can find here. You might also want to contact the addon author and let them now about this issue.

Technical Details (hidden by default, need to be expanded by clicking [Show] like in the import log):

When loading ‘⁨Butler-Addon⁩’:
⁨Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1439937507\butler.py”, line 3195, in
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QAction
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘PyQt5’

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt.addons”, line 239, in loadAddons
File “C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1439937507_init_.py”, line 1, in
from . import butler
File “C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1439937507\butler.py”, line 3197, in
from PyQt6.QtWidgets import QAction
ImportError: cannot import name ‘QAction’ from ‘PyQt6.QtWidgets’ (C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Programs\Anki 23.10 Beta 6\lib\PyQt6\QtWidgets.pyd)

⁩Below it, offer the following buttons:

• [Deactivate] → Deactivates the addon directly from this popup
  • [Contact addon author] → Opens link or even a preformatted email to the addon author with the correct subject (error name and line) and the error message already put in.

I think this would frighten the average user much less because its clear that there was a problem with the addon and not with their collection (God forbid). Many people will think that at least for a split second if they open Anki and the first word they read is “Error”.

When an error occurs in an addon later on (after it was loaded without problem) the text and design should probably be tweaked slightly. (Everybody feel free to improve upon this idea, obviously!)

9 Likes

Even when the FSRS option is disabled, clicking on the FSRS item shows the explanation screen, but there is no FSRS section in the screen unexpectedly.

gif sample3f

I think it would be more helpful for users to be able to read the explanation of FSRS in the screen even when the FSRS is still toggled off.

1 Like

Hi, there is something wrong with filtered decks - it make endless repetitions even if you use “Good” button only. I disabled all addons before started.

As a subtitle I’m trying to keep it succinct, and your suggestions are a bit long. How about the following?

“The delay at which you’re 90% likely to remember”
or
“The delay at which you’re still 90% likely to remember”
or
“A card’s stability is the delay at which you’re 90% likely to remember” - but that’s a bit redundant as this is a subtitle.

Tracked on Image occlusion doesn't scale when page zoomed in · Issue #2588 · ankitects/anki · GitHub

If the ‘failed to fetch’ message appears in the next build, please let us know.

Agreed, but we might not get to this for this release.

Those add-ons need to be updated to ignore manual rescheduling.

That sounds like it may be a graphics driver issue. You could ask the user to try the different drivers in the preferences screen.

Hopefully this month.

I’ve posted Porting tips for Anki 23.10 to ease the migration, and the next build will accumulate all startup errors into one less scary message.

That is not specific to the beta. When rescheduling is disabled, you need to use the easy button to return the card.

2 Likes

Please use Anki 23.10 Release Candidate for further discussion.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Anki 23.10 Release Candidate