Anki 23.10 Beta 5-6

Beta 5 is now available: Releases · ankitects/anki · GitHub

Previous betas: Anki 23.10 Beta 1-4

9 Likes

I can’t open Anki after installing anki-23.10-mac-apple-qt6.dmg. So I try to run it via command line, and get this error:

$ /Applications/Anki.app/Contents/MacOS/anki
Anki starting...
Initial setup...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "aqt", line 40, in <module>
  File "anki.lang", line 12, in <module>
  File "anki._backend", line 14, in <module>
  File "anki.backend_pb2", line 5, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'google.protobuf'

Getting this error when I launch Anki(anki-23.10-windows-qt6.exe):

Error
An add-on you installed failed to load. If problems persist, please go to the Tools>Add-ons menu, and disable or delete the add-on.

When loading '<U+2068>FSRS4Anki Helper<U+2069>':
<U+2068>Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "aqt.addons", line 239, in loadAddons
  File "C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\759844606\__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from .browser.browser import init_browser
  File "C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\759844606\browser\browser.py", line 9, in <module>
    from .custom_columns import (
  File "C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\759844606\browser\custom_columns.py", line 50, in <module>
    class TargetRetrievabilityColumn(CustomColumn):
  File "C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\759844606\browser\custom_columns.py", line 51, in TargetRetrievabilityColumn
    builtin_column = Column(
ValueError: Protocol message Column has no "sorting" field.
<U+2069>

It still starts up, but the addon is not functional.

1 Like

Same error on my Mac.
Using Mac OS 13.6 with Apple M1 Pro chip.

Anki starting...
Initial setup...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "aqt", line 40, in <module>
  File "anki.lang", line 12, in <module>
  File "anki._backend", line 14, in <module>
  File "anki.backend_pb2", line 5, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'google.protobuf'

error during installation,
(Windows 11)
Is it because the installation path includes Hebrew characters?

תמונה

MacOS users: beta 5 appears to be broken on macOS. Please wait until the next beta comes out.

@noty: try restarting your computer before installing

1 Like

solution. v

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 12.35.55

1 Like

About “SM2 retention”: why not just estimate it from the user’s review history?

Beta5 breaks my add-on and I can’t debug it because it doesn’t work on my Mac.

2 Likes

If I set “Deck size” and “Days to simulate” to their maximum values, the “Compute optimal retention” module freezes, and Anki stops responding if I try to close it.

SM2 is used for cards with missing data, so I don’t think it would be possible for Anki to automatically estimate it.

If your actual retention before switching to FSRS was significantly different from 0.9, adjusting this value will allow Anki to better estimate your memory state when it encounters cards that are missing review logs. Since review logs typically won’t be missing unless you explicitly deleted them to free up space, most users will not need to adjust this.

Why not? Just take the average retention of cards in this preset, or, if this preset is not applied to any decks, just the global average.

I may be missing something here, but how do you calculate the retention if the review history is missing?

If review history of one card is missing and review history of 999 cards is fine, you can use their average retention.

That makes sense. However, there are users, like me, who are missing a significant portion of their review history, for example because they used the debug console to delete it. I am not sure if it would be possible to calculate an accurate estimate in such cases.

At least, I personally feel more comfortable having a parameter I can customize to my liking. The current setting basically allows you to decide how conservative you want Anki to be when dealing with these cards that cannot be easily scheduled using FSRS, and I find it quite convenient.

Perhaps it would be possible for Anki to calculate an estimate of SM-2 retention (when sufficient data is available) but still allow the user to customize the parameter as they see fit.

I’m wondering whether this commit might have caused that error on Mac’s:

Just a naive guess because I went through the commits and this one seems protobuf-related, though I have no idea exactly how it might have cause it.

I’m on Linux and not affected by that bug, but if I were on Mac I would try reverting that commit and recompiling Anki to check if the error persists. I actually did that already to check if this fixes the FSRS-Helper addon, but that was not the case. Anyway, at least reverting the commit didin’t break Anki, so it’s something safe to try out if you have the git-knowledge how to do so.

As of the latest version, I can no longer tab from field to field:

When I hit tab, while the typing cursor is in the Front field, it normally goes to the next field (Back). On the latest version, it goes to the fold/unfold button, then Toggle HTML Editor, then Toggle sticky:

This makes the adding workflow much more clunky. If I had to guess, people would likely never tab to those as they have designated hotkeys.

1 Like

Beta 6 is now available: Releases · ankitects/anki · GitHub

To clarify - the FSRS memory state is derived from the truncated review logs and/or the existing SM2 card state. Those cards will still be scheduled with FSRS in the future.

There are two reasons why it’s manual entry:

• we don’t want to have to look through the full revlogs every time you make a change to deck options to calculate it
  • this value should be set to what your retention was prior to switching to FSRS - after the switch, your average retention may change.
4 Likes

After setting video drivers to default, Anki fails to start.

W10, Qt6, no plugins.

EDIT: reinstalling 2.1.66 Qt6doesn’t fix the problem, I had to reinstall Qt5 in order to use the program again. How can I force 23.10 to use the old videodrivers again?