I recently changed my laptop to a Macbook Pro M2 Pro and a strange thing happened everytime I’m creating a new card ever since.
Whenever I try to add a screenshot to a card, the image doesn’t appear on the editor, there’s only a little square that represents the image but it’s not the image itself.
However, this only happens with screenshots I took on the new Mac, as if I save a random image from the web it will appear normally on the editor.
The image also does not appear while i’m studying the deck. EDIT: it does appear on AnkiWeb tho, and after a while it seems to appear on the iOS app. But it never appears on the Mac!
I’ve already given Anki full access to my drive and folders so I don’t know what’s going on.
On my old Mac I used to screenshot, drag and drop it on the editor or copy+paste it from the Desktop folder later and everything would work.
I’m on the most recent version of Ventura + Anki.
Can anyone please help? My study largely depends on the images
I can’t seem to reproduce this on an M1 pro machine here. When you say it “never appears on the Mac”, Does it not appear after you restart Anki either? Does Tools>Check Media report it as missing?
Thanks for answering! No, they don’t appear after I restart Anki. I’ve checked media and there are 0 items missing.
Today I noticed older images (from cards I created before changing computers) don’t appear on the new Mac either, although they appear on my iPad, iPhone and AnkiWeb.
I also noticed that, after I take a screenshot, if I copy+paste it on the Photos app and only then I copy+paste it from the Photos to the Anki app, the image shows up as normal on the Mac. But if I copy+paste the screenshot directly, it just appears as a broken image on the Mac…
If disabling all add-ons doesn’t make a difference, please open Terminal.app and type the following in, then hit enter:
When you open the editor and see a broken image, what is shown in the terminal? Do you see a “not found” message?
And have you tried renaming one of your screenshots before adding it to Anki? I’m wondering if the non-Latin text in the filename is related.
Nevermind, I’ve been able to reproduce the problem; a fix will be in the next release. In the mean time, downgrading to 2.1.54 should work around the problem.
Actually this did work! When I take a screenshot, the original name goes something like “Captura de ecrã 2023-02-27, às 19.02.45”.
I wonder if there’s a special character in there that is the reason for the issue with Anki, as if I rename the same screenshot to something more simple like “test” and then drag it to Anki it shows up normally.
The only hassle is that I used to take the screenshot and drag it directly from the little box that goes on the lower right corner, and now I have to change the name first. But at least it’s working
EDIT: I downgraded to 2.1.54 and that allows me to drag and drop the screenshot directly after I took it, so I’ll stick to this version until the next one pops up. Thank you so so much, you’ve really helped me out!
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.