Missing images when importing deck into Anki Mobile

Hi,

I’ve run out of troubleshooting options and would greatly appreciate some help.

Basically I’m missing images when I export a deck from Desktop Anki to an Anki Deck Package (.apkg) with “Include media” selected and the other 2 options unselected: “Include scheduling information” and “Support older Anki versions (slower/larger files)”. The export shows that it successfully completed, so then I quit Anki on my laptop, I quit Anki on my Mobile, and I AirDrop the file from laptop to iPhone, then choose to open it in AnkiMobile where it shows that the 1000 notes were successfully imported. However, when I open the AnkiMobile deck and go to Browse, I see that there are a few media files missing (about 2) that are now replaced with blue question marks. So, still on iPhone, I go to settings and do Check Media… no problems found. Then I do Check Database… no problems. Then I quit AnkiMobile, open it again, go back to the deck that I imported, and unfortunately I still see the blue question marks for the missing images.

Then I go through the entire process again of sending exactly the same exported file to the iPhone (I didn’t re-export), choose to open it with AnkiMobile, and the import claims to have completed successfully, but this time in the deck’s Browse area on AnkiMobile there are dozens of missing image files (blue question mark boxes) instead of just a handful like 2. Check Media and Check Database on AnkiMobile still show no problems. I imported a total of 1000 notes.

My environment is:

1. Anki Desktop version (2.1.56 w/ QT6 Intel running on Intel MacBook Pro with MacOS 13.1 Ventura and all the latest OS updates):
    Version ⁨2.1.56 (07fd88dd)⁩
    Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.3.2 PyQt 6.3.1

2. Anki Mobile version (2.0.87 running on iPhone 13 Pro Max with the latest iOS 16.2):
    2.0.87 (20087.1)

Do you have any ideas for further troubleshooting? Given that I used exactly the same exported file from Desktop Anki to re-send to AnkiMobile and got many more missing file icons during this 2nd import, the problem seems to be centered around the AnkiMobile import process as far as I can tell.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Will

If you originally imported the cards without media, then made a new apkg file with media included, the media will not be pulled in. You can work around this by deleting the cards, then importing them again.

Thanks @dae ,

I originally imported with media, then deleted the imported cards from AnkiMobile before importing the newly exported deck (with media, from desktop Anki) into AnkiMobile. Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Will

I’d expect that to work. Could you move a couple of cards into a separate deck, export just that deck, then import them into AnkiMobile after ensuring they’ve been deleted, to confirm the problem still exists? If it does, could you please send me a link to the file so I can try to reproduce the issue?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.