Lost images on my anki ipad

Hi- hoping for some help please!!

My friend shared his anki decks with me today, and since adding his cards to mine, all of my images have disappeared - only appearing with a blue box on my cards.

How do I correct this?

It keeps on telling me that my images are missing? Is there anyway you can restore this from the AnkiWeb?

@dae any ideas?

Anki creates automatic backups, so if an action you’ve taken has caused problems, I’d recommend you try restoring from a backup made before you imported the deck: Restoring an Automatic Backup (Recovering from Data Loss) - Frequently Asked Questions

Hi, I’ve done that- but doesn’t seem to make any difference

@dae do you think this could be caused by a storage problem on my own iPad?

You don’t appear to have been syncing with AnkiWeb, so it’s a bit hard for me to say. Using the “check media” option in the preferences screen may give you a hint as to what is going on. Importing does not affect any media files that are already on your device, so restoring from a backup made prior to the import should be sufficient provided the images were already on your device.

@dae n the check media folder, it just says that the media is missing - just seems odd that any media made after the sync has stayed but anything before has disappeared- unless it’s still syncing now?

You don’t appear to have been syncing with AnkiWeb - there are only a few media files in your account, and they were synced in the last few days. As mentioned above, importing does not affect media files, so I can only think of a few explanations for why media may be missing:

1. the media files were already missing prior to the import
  2. the media files are stored in a separate profile, and you switched to a different profile before importing. If that’s the case, you should be able to recover them by switching back to the profile that contains them.
  3. you removed and reinstalled the app, which deletes all data

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.