All my media is gone help!

So I’ve been using Anki for a few years now and recently (due to a recent kernel error) had to wipe my laptop but made sure beforehand that my Anki was synced up. I noticed that some cards lost their media (showing .png icon) and used check media and about 10k have been missing. I’ve tried iCloud backups and moving old screenshot but still not working. Any tips? @dae anyway I could restore this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Read a little more and seems like I can only restore it server-side. Am I cooked?

All of your media should still be there on AnkiWeb and on whatever other devices you synced with. When you first set up sync on your fresh install on your laptop, did you choose to download from AnkiWeb? How long ago did you set up syncing (an hour, 3 hours, a day)?

1 Like

Yea I thought the same thing but I’m having the same issue on AnkiWeb, I’ve had syncing set up on my profile for sometime now but after the system wipe I think maybe some files got deleted (gotta love apple). I’ve had periodic backups on and set up sync maybe 6 hours ago after the reset today. And yea pretty sure downloaded from anki web. Am I gonna need a server side restore? There should be auto-backups from like yesterday

Whatever was going on with your laptop cannot have affected your AnkiWeb collection unless you synced/uploaded it to AnkiWeb. I don’t know what you mean by “having the same issue on AnkiWeb.”

If you did the initial sync of your new install recently, it probably hasn’t had a chance to download all of your data yet – Media files may take time to sync - Anki FAQs . Keep trying the sync and running Tools > Check Media on your Desktop to see that it is making progress.

The automatic backups that Anki makes on your laptop are not synced to your AnkiWeb account – only the current collection is. (But automatic backups don’t include media anyway, so I don’t think that would help you.) A “server side restore” is a last-ditch attempt, and if a copy of your collection exists, you won’t get to choose what day it’s from.

I have restored the media recently deleted from your AnkiWeb account, which may or may not be the media you are looking for. It will automatically download on the next sync.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.