Installing Anki when there seems to be a previous version

I had previously installed Anki and uninstalled it from my PC due to errors that were occuring (the programm did not want to start). I have done this a couple of times before and it always worked.
This time after uninstalling anki I tried to download it again. The installer always sends me the message: “A previous anki version needs to be uninstalled first. After unistallation completes, please run the installer again.”
I have spent multiple hours trying to find this previous version and to solve the problem without success…
Any ideas on where to look for it (eventhough i am pretty sure there is no previous version on this laptop)? What the problem might be? Or maybe how one can “override” the installation?

1 Like

Got the same problem. I uninstalled Anki, and now I can’t reinstall it because “A previous anki version needs to be uninstalled first. After unistallation completes, please run the installer again.”
I tried things. I found every file that has Anki written on it on my PC, and deleted it. Then, i went into regedit and deleted every key, value and data related to Anki, but to no avail: the installer still detects a previous installation.

It should be sufficient to install and then uninstall 2.1.63, as that should ensure the registry key from the old install (HKLM “Software\WOW6432Node\Anki” “Install_Dir64”) is removed.

1 Like

Thank you so much! It worked :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the help too! It worked for me asw

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.