Contanki [Official Support Thread]

Please post here if you have any issues with my add-on Contanki. You are also welcome to post on the GitHub issue tracker.

Starting with the next version of Contanki you’ll be able to get some debug information by opening the config and clicking help. If you are encountering an error, please also post the full error message.

1 Like

Beta 8 has just been released, and will go up on AnkiWeb in a few days:

After the update, my remote connects to Anki but the add-on itself will not open (thus I cannot access controller options). Instead an error window appears.

Error

An error occurred. Please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will temporarily disable the add-ons you have installed.

If the issue only occurs when add-ons are enabled, please use the Tools > Add-ons menu item to disable some add-ons and restart Anki, repeating until you discover the add-on that is causing the problem.

When you’ve discovered the add-on that is causing the problem, please report the issue to the add-on author.

Debug info:

Anki 2.1.54 (b6a7760c) Python 3.9.7 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1

Platform: Mac 13.0

Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=3

Add-ons, last update check: 2022-10-26 16:48:48

Add-ons possibly involved: ⁨Contanki - Controller Support for Anki beta⁩

Thanks, there should be a stack trace underneath the error message, could you post that as well?

Thanks, the crash will be addressed in the next update, but it appears that your controller is not being detected. Can you tell me what model of controller you’re using?

8BitDo Zero2

Ignore my username, it’s not related to this. No crashing.

Switch Pro Controller
Windows 10
Anki Version ⁨2.1.54 (b6a7760c)⁩
Python 3.9.7 Qt 5.15.2 PyQt 5.15.5

In Contanki Options, the controller is properly recognized as “Switch Pro.”

Right joystick as cursor doesn’t work at all. All directions appear to map to a diagonal up and right (North East, maybe 45 degrees).

Button mapping for reviews appears to be broken in some areas. In Controls > Question, A is defaulted to “Flip Card.” But while reviewing, B flips the card. A doesn’t do anything. If I assign B to flip card, A works to flip. B remains able to flip.

The button mapping for and Controls > Answer aren’t working for A, B, X, and Y. When I try to map Again/Hard/Good/Easy, it seems to randomly select a value to assign. I’m sure there’s a pattern to this but I’ve never been great at puzzle games.

My desired mapping is first with the actual responses the system received in parentheses:
Y = Again / 1 (Good / 3)
B = Hard / 2 (Easy / 4)
A = Good / 3 (Hard / 2)
X = Easy / 4 (Again / 1)

When I tried to adjust the mapping based on the above, it was wrong, but not in a pattern I could understand. Again, the first is what I mapped, parentheses is actual input received.
Y = Easy / 4 (Hard / 2)
B = Good / 3 (Again / 1
A = Again / 1 (Good / 3
X = Hard / 2 (Easy / 4)

Across review/question/answer, the (-) and (+) buttons don’t map at all. (-) defaults to “Card Info” and (+) defaults to Options. Changing them doesn’t do anything.

I suppose worth noting that for Controls > Answer, these work:

• Left Joystick > Up / Down to scroll up and down card (didn’t change default)
  • Left Joystick > left / right to jump screens back or forward (didn’t change default)
  • shoulder button mapping
  • D-pad mapping

I used this add-on for quite a while without any issues. I stopped using a controller for a couple months, so I’m not sure when this started happening, but ContAnki no longer remembers the settings I save for a given controller. It makes me a lot less likely to use ContAnki when I have to redo the settings every time. I have been using an 8bitdo zero 2 controller. Settings go back to default each time the controller is reconnected.

Debug Settings:
Anki 2.1.55 (01caec2a) Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.3.2 PyQt 6.3.1
Platform: macOS-13.1-x86_64-i386-64bit
Add-ons, last update check: 2022-12-16 13:34:26

1 controller detected:
8BitDo Zero 2 gamepad (STANDARD GAMEPAD Vendor: 045e Product: 02e0)
Buttons: 17
Axes: 4

Apologies, I must has missed the notification for this message.

The Switch Pro isn’t surer common and it’s not one of the controllers I own or have had user feedback on, so it’s likely the button mapping is simply wrong. I’ve updated the mapping which should hopefully fix the A/B/X/Y and +/-/Home/Capture buttons. I’ll be releasing a new beta with those mappings later today.

I’m not sure why the sticks wouldn’t work though. Could you visit this site and let me know if your controller responds correctly?

Thanks for reporting, a few users have had this issue and I’m currently working to reproduce it.

Hello, see attached photo. I have already tried toggle-dis-enabling the add-on and then re-enabling the add-on. Wondering what should I try next?

Not an issue, but I was wondering if you planned on adding desk/wireless mice to the app? I would love to be able to use my scroll/Extra buttons to be able to do most of the work for me, without have to go through the trouble to remap them every time through my mouse’s hardware. Thanks for all of the help, its made med school so much easier!

Every time I try to use this add on I get this error message. Seems like it tries to open 3 controller profiles at once and it bugs out. I only have a single JoyCon connected. Any tips for a fix?

Anki 2.1.54 (b6a7760c) Python 3.9.7 Qt 6.3.1 PyQt 6.3.1
Platform: Windows 10
Add-ons, last update check: 2023-01-28 08:44:28

3 controllers detected:
Unknown Gamepad (Vendor: 045e Product: 09cf)
Buttons: 0
Axes: 3

Unknown Gamepad (Vendor: 045e Product: 09af)
Buttons: 0
Axes: 3

Wireless Gamepad (STANDARD GAMEPAD Vendor: 057e Product: 2007)
Buttons: 17
Axes: 2

I also get this error message.

Debug info:
Anki 2.1.54 (b6a7760c) Python 3.9.7 Qt 6.3.1 PyQt 6.3.1
Platform: Windows 10
Add-ons, last update check: 2023-01-28 08:50:50

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt.webview”, line 42, in cmd
File “aqt.webview”, line 149, in _onCmd
File “aqt.webview”, line 618, in _onBridgeCmd
File “aqt.hooks_gen”, line 4358, in call
File “C:\Users\do26.mmallen\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1898790263\contanki.py”, line 124, in on_receive_message
funcsfunc
File “C:\Users\do26.mmallen\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1898790263\contanki.py”, line 138, in if_connected_wrapper
func(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Users\do26.mmallen\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons21\1898790263\contanki.py”, line 163, in poll
self.buttons[i] = value
IndexError: list assignment index out of range

Hi!

I’ve been using Contanki with an 8BitDo controller for the past few months and have loved it. Totally changed my studying game. However, yesterday I went to connect my controller to my Windows computer and the Bluetooth wouldn’t connect. I restarted my computer, forgot the controller as a device, and re-added it as a Bluetooth device with no problems. Then when I opened Anki and tried to use my controller, Anki seemed to not connect it. I have disabled and re-enabled the Contanki add-on, deleted it and re-added it, toggled it on and off, and tried to configure it. Each time I try to configure it, Anki states that I have no connected controllers even though the blue light on my controller is on. I have not received any error messages, so my issue sounds a little different than some of the other issues mentioned in this thread.

I would appreciate any suggestions for how I can fix the problem!

Hi, I am trying to use the add on with an Xbox controller via bluetooth on Ubuntu Linux. My Xbox controller is connected to my PC and it works fine with everything else (e.g. steam games) however Anki is not detecting that a controller is connected to my pc. When I try to access the config settings of the addon, it gives me a message stating no controller is connected.
Things I’ve tried: reinstall the addon 3 times, restart anki. I’m using Anki Version ⁨2.1.61
Thanks for reading.

Hi, until now the controller has worked perfectly but all the sudden the buttons are not binding properly. Im using the 8BitDo Zero 2. I’ve got the key bindings all correct on the add on but they aren’t working. For example I have my X button as bury but for some reason it is undoing the card instead. Any idea why? Nothing else has changed I haven’t updated anki or anything. I’ve tried forgetting the controller and deleting the add on and still no change. I’m using the X setting which I always have before.

It’s almost as if all the keys have been shifted by one to the right if that makes sense

When in the controller options A button is highlighting as B button. I’ve found another user struggling with this issue Zero2 button mapping wrong on Mac · Issue #56 · roxgib/anki-contanki · GitHub

Hi,

I’m not one to usually mess with Anki settings but I’m encountering a glitch and I’m not exactly sure how to rectify this. I’ve been using my DualShock 4 controller with Anki successfully for the past week. However, today it’s glitching pretty badly. I didn’t change any settings so I’m not sure how this happened. Essentially, whenever I try to flip the card which is programmed as the X button it will flash the answer and then move onto the next card. In some cases, it’ll actually glitch and show the next card with the answer filled in already. This happens for every single deck and every single card that I’ve reviewed. I’ve tried restarting my laptop, disconnecting the controller, uninstalling the ad on, and remapping the control but it just keeps happening. I should add that all the other controlls work perfectly. It’s only when I try to flip the card for the answers. Please help!

Here’s potentially useful info:
Anki 2.1.63 (f356f177) Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.4.3 PyQt 6.4.0
Platform: Windows-10-10.0.19044
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2023-05-20 13:19:57

1 controller detected:
Wireless Controller (STANDARD GAMEPAD Vendor: 054c Product: 09cc)
Buttons: 18
Axes: 4