Cards being repeated in filtered deck after pressing end

Hey there,
I am a fairly new Anki user and a complete beginner at using the app.

Currently I am experiencing a bug where another user had also had this issue however their solution did not help in my scenario.

What I am experiencing is that cards will pop up again even after pressing “easy” (end). The card will appear back to back. For example if I was to answer a card and press “easy” then sometimes it would just leave the deck which is what it should be doing however the odd occasion I press “easy” on a card it would just come back straight away as the next card and instead of having the filtered deck settings where it would end a card, it would have the regular minutes and days on all the buttons. I have made sure that there are no duplicate cards already.

Below I will provide some screenshots of my situation.

I have also disabled the king of button add on in case that was interfering with anything but that did not seem to work.
Hopefully someone knows the solution to this.
Thanks in advance.

Because of the way the counters at the bottom of the page changed (from 0 0 _18_ to 0 _1_ 17) – I don’t think that your grade registered as “Easy” – I think it registered as “Again.” In which case, it makes sense for it to be shown basically immediately.

I would need to see the Card Info to tell for sure – Statistics - Anki Manual .

Yes, if you have any display- or button-modifying add-ons, definitely disable them. (Or you can restart Anki with all add-ons disabled by holding down Shift when you start, until you see the confirmation message. Troubleshooting - Anki Manual)

How are you entering your grades? Mouse? Keyboard 1-2-3-4? Keyboard with other keys? Controller? Something else?

I have tried using the numbers on my keyboard and also my mouse cursor and both end up with the same result, I also tried changing the settings so that “good” is changed to 0 seconds where it will return to the original deck however the same problem occurred where the card would still repeat twice

Yes, all of that fits with the theory I suggested, but I can’t verify that until you post the Card Info.

If your grading buttons are recording the wrong grades when you have all add-ons disabled that’s something we need to investigate.

Please also post your full version info from Help > About > Copy Debug Info – and a screenshot of you settings in Tools > Preferences > Review

Did you rebuild the filtered deck / change its settings? When you do so, that could cause cards you’ve already reviewed to be added to it again.

Hey there, sorry for the inconvenience, I’m not quite sure if all the info is there but most of it should all be here now

Anki 23.12.1 (1a1d4d54)
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.5.3 PyQt 6.5.3
Platform: macOS-14.3-arm64-arm-64bit

I don’t think so because I have done that before but then after I deleted that deck and remade the deck with different settings and the same thing happened.

Is this card the same one you posted above? Did you Undo after those screenshots? I’m having trouble matching those screenshots up with anything on this Card Info (which may be the problem?). What do you think corresponds to what?

Because of the way Filtered decks work, if you’re using them repeatedly, and rebuilding the decks in-between (as dae pointed out), you can see a lot of the cards again. Especially when your search filter is just everything in the deck, but there’s only 18 cards.

sorry about that, might have done a little bit of experiment in the mean time in between our convos of the screenshots above.
i have made a NEW filtered deck with the same original deck, then pressed easy on each card until it reached a card which doubled, originally the filtered deck has 23 cards.
hope this makes more sense

below i have the settings of the deck, a screenshot of the card and the answer, then a screenshot of when i press easy (this should send the card back to the original deck but the SAME card pops up again), then i press show answer and this time the buttons come up with different times on top of them but after i press easy with the card with the times, it shows me a new card which is what it shouldve done the first time around

(it wouldnt let me send all images at once)

I think I got it. It might be a bigger problem than the card being repeated. @dae The card is given actual review history on that second review – despite the filtered deck having rescheduling turned off.

Reproduced, following the below steps (with multiple Learn cards).

Anki 23.12.1 (1a1d4d54) (ao)
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.6.1 PyQt 6.6.1
Platform: Windows-10-10.0.22621
All add-ons disabled
FSRS Enabled (but OP was using default algorithm)

I also verified that Review cards in the same filtered deck are handled correctly.

That card info makes it look like –

• you studied the Learn card in the filtered deck with rescheduling-off
  • graded Easy, which moved it back to its home deck with no change to the scheduling
  • you studied it in its home deck (while it was still in Learn)
  • graded Easy, which graduated it to Review.

What you actually did was –

• you studied the Learn card in the filtered deck with rescheduling-off
  • graded Easy, which kept it in the filtered deck as a Learn card
  • then it was immediately shown to you again
  • you studied it again in the fltered deck
  • graded Easy, which moved it back to its home deck and graduated it to Review

Ex. 1: “rival” – showing Prev Card Info on the left, and (current) Card Info on the right.

Buttons are correct on the 1st showing, but grade of Easy keeps the card in the filtered deck and makes it a Learn card. Then the card is shown again immediately with the buttons it should have in a rescheduling-on filtered deck (or a regular study session), and grade of Easy is actually applied changing the memory state, interval, due date.

Filtered deck options –

Ex. 2: “fat” – showing Prev Card Info on the left, and (current) Card Info on the right.

so does this mean that there is no solution as of yet?
as a VERY beginner anki user, all this information is a little bit overwhelming

That’s correct. Any of the devs can take a look when they are online again, and they’ll be able to let us know if there’s anything else they need – or if this is expected behavior for some reason. Unfortunately the only suggestion I have for now is don’t try to study Learn cards in a Filtered deck with rescheduling turned off. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

thanks for all the help!

1 Like

Thank you, logged on Cards being repeated in filtered deck after pressing end · Issue #3140 · ankitects/anki · GitHub