V3 scheduler Filtered Decks, Rescheduled turned off: Ending card with easy does not return card to original deck

Hi Damien,

I have tried searching everywhere about this issue, and I could not find a solution to an issue with the V3 scheduler and filtered deck – I am not sure if it’s a bug.

The gist of the problem is this: ending a card in a filtered deck (with reschedule turned off) will not return the card to the original deck, but instead it will appear one more time with answer choices that will reschedule it.

More specifically: With an un-checked “Reschedule cards based on my answers in this deck” in a filtered deck, a card where I press “Easy (end)” (see the second figure below) does not return the card to the original deck. Instead, it is kept in the filtered deck and will appear one more time. The next time it appears, the answer choices reflect the original deck’s schedule (see third figure below). Once an answer choice is selected, it will return to the original deck with it being rescheduled.

I was on Anki 2.1.47 (I think) and just updated to 2.1.51 to see if that helped, but still the same issue. From the Anki manual, the statement for the V2 scheduler, "From the v2 scheduler, when rescheduling is disabled, cards are shown in a simple “preview mode”, and when they are returned to the original deck, they are returned exactly as they started " does not hold true for V3 it seems (the bolded part).

First figure showing the unchecked reschedule.

Answer choices for a card in the filtered deck:

I pressed Easy (End), and the card appears one more time with the original deck’s schedule (1m 25m 1d) with easy interval set to 10 days (but 8 days shows here for the fuzz):

The bigger picture, however, is that basically I have always been looking for a way in Anki to deploy a more “physical” flashcard set-up mode – I just want to study a group of 100 cards repetitively (particularly for language vocabulary), and if I get really comfortable with the vocab card, I want to remove the card. This has always been effective use of real, physical vocabulary flash cards for short duration crams. You take a batch of cards and just do rote repetitive memorization. You keep going though rounds of cards super fast and put the card at the bottom of the pile once answered (or shuffle). You eventually start removing cards that you keep getting right until you’re left with the hardest to focus on. Sometimes, you can add in a few more new cards once your pile of hard cards gets really small and you’re getting used to them. This is the algorithm I follow.

Then later on, you review them in a spaced repetition way. It works insanely, insanely well for things like SAT, GRE, Kanji, etc., but less so for my more complicated cards in my medical school deck where you really need to sit down on the first appearance of the card to soak up all the related info. However, how-to videos for cram mode on upcoming med school tests still seem to get a lot of views on AnKing and such, so investment into an algorithm that deviates a little from the spaced-repetition mantra seems like it could be worth an investment. I am all for long-term retention, but there seems to be an unmet need for this type of memorization. Even for those of us that focus on long-term retention, when push come to shove for things like Step 1/2, JLPT exams, in-house med school exams, etc., there’s that go-time when we shift gears and go into cram mode no matter how well we have ingrained the knowledge. I definitely know I scored way higher on Step 1 because I totally dropped Anki cards days before, just pulled up the browse mode, and kept flagging and un-flagging cards as if I were doing real physical flash cards. And I crammed reading First Aid.

Don’t get me wrong, doing Anki over the years has helped me understand the material in medical school, and has probably made me a better, more knowledgeable physician, but I think the importance of a good cramming algorithm in Anki is under-valued for specifically the performance on exams.

Anyways, this sort of set up is what I am trying to implement with a cram session in filtered decks. But in deploying this set up, I noticed that the un-checked reschedule cards does not seem to work exactly right. Thanks so much for reading!

Right now, I’m very interested in this topic, because I’m in the middle of 3 weeks of final reviews for a big test.

I also would like to see Anki more flexible in a way to allow the use of cards more like physical flashcards. You described well an “algorithm” that is intuitive and easy to do on physical flashcards, but it gets messy on Anki. Let me try to systematize some maneuvers typically used with physical flashcards:

A: kick card out of the deck
B: send ard to be seen soon
C: send card to the end
D: bring outsider card to the top
E: bring outsider card to the end

As I explained here, I’m doing (something like) the maneuver C by suspending the cards. It’s not intuitive at all, though, as suspended cards are not allowed to go into the filtered decks, when building it, so one might think that suspending a card would kick it out of the filtered deck.

@ary I’m not able to reproduce this. When I click on Easy, the card goes back to the original deck. Have you ruled out add-ons, and confirmed it’s the same card (by checking the history in card info) and not a similar card such as a sibling of the same note?