Can I prioritize cards within a deck, so that they are queried more often than other cards?

Is there a way to prioritize cards within a deck, so that they are queried more often than other cards?

I have a deck of flashcards for learning vocabulary. It now contains about 7000 cards. Among them are cards that I find very important, so I would like them to be repeated more often than cards that are not so important to me. Because so the important vocabulary is often lost in the crowd of less important vocabulary.

Would it be an option to mark the more important cards with a green flag, for example? Would there then be an option to learn only the cards with a green flag?

Or only the cards that are marked with a star?

If this is possible, it would be better than nothing. But actually, I would like to be able to weight certain cards more than others, so that they are automatically queried more often.

–

Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, Karten innerhalb eines Kartenstapels zu priorisieren, also stärker zu gewichten als andere Karten, so dass sie öfter abgefragt werden?

Ich habe einen Stapel von Karteikarten zum Vokabeln lernen. Er umfasst mittlerweile ca. 7000 Karten. Darunter sind Karten, die ich sehr wichtig finde, so dass ich mir wünschen würde, dass sie öfter wiederholt werden als solche Karten, die mir nicht so wichtig sind. Denn so gehen die wichtigen Vokabeln oft in der Menge von weniger wichtigen Vokabeln unter.

Wäre es eine Option, die wichtigeren Karten z.B. mit einer grünen Flagge zu markieren? Gäbe es dann die Möglichkeit, nur die Karten mit einer grünen Flagge zu lernen?

Oder nur die Karten, die mit einem Stern markiert sind?

Wenn das geht, wäre das zwar besser als nichts. Aber eigentlich würde ich bestimmte Karten gerne stärker gewichten können, so dass sie automatisch öfter abgefragt werden.

I don’t know if it works but, split your deck in two subdecks, you can flag or mark the card you want to go there, change the options so that the cards you want come more often.

Directly being able to study marked or flagged cards doesn’t seem to be an option in “Custom Study” and unless you use an addon on the desktop version to tag those cards while reviewing them you won’t be able to only learn those cards.

Opinion: You might want to to just suspend the cards you don’t find important wether it leaves you with almost no card to learn in Anki, and spend more time immersing and make your own cards so that they are as important as you need.

1 Like

You cannot exactly “prioritize” cards with respect to other cards, because (as far as I know), the scheduler does not have a “global” view, meaning that how often a card has to be seen only depends on that card, the deck options and your answers when studying. This means that at no point a card is compared to an other one. The only exception would be when you have reached the maximal number of cards to be reviewed each day, in which case the scheduler has to chose which cards to show (but, in the long run, this does not affect how many times you will see a certain card; only in which order you start learning them).

This means that should should have an other approach.

This seems definitively the easiest way to go, since you can specify, for each deck (or subdeck) how easily you can learn cards. This means that the harder you make each card to learn, the more frequently you will see them. Thus you could “weigh” each subdeck.
An other parameter you could look at is the ratio of learned cards. I don’t have the precise formula right here, but if you have a target ratio of learned cards (ie. 95%), meaning you would like to, on a complete exam, remember correctly at least 95% of the cards, then there is a formula based on your current ratio of learned cards that tells you how to modify the decks parameters to reach your learned cards. Just as an aside, you cannot reach 100% (that would make Anki make you revise every cards at every instant, not very practical).

There is an other approach, which is tagging the cards. This allows you to have focused studying sessions. Keep in mind that Anki is meant to be tweaked with a computer, AnkiDroid is mainly there to ease the studying, not the creation of cards.

However this is not what you may actually want to do. This is because Anki will try to make you memorize every card, whether it’s important or not. This means that weighting the cards will only slow down the learning of certain cards, not that you are spending time learning them.
But you still may not be interested in all the cards equally. For this, Anki has a leeches system. Anki will detect the cards that you struggle most learning, and put them aside (ie. suspending them). When this happens, you can question yourself. “Do I really want to learn this particular card, which seems really hard? Instead, I could spend my time learning other cards that I find more important.”
Now, if the leeched card is one that is less important, you could just decide to drop it. If you do so, Anki has already saved you a lot of time without slowing all less important cards, but only removing the one whose time cost is too important with respect to their importance.
So, in conclusion, it might not be necessary to review more frequently the cards that are more important. Anki will naturally remove the less important cards that are taking the most time.

1 Like

Anki is designed to priorize difficult cards, not important ones. In order to do what you want to do, you can:

A) Separate cards into different subfolders and use different deck options in each subfolder.

B) Use flags, marks, or tags to mark important cards and study them using filtered decks. For example:

(This will create a filtered deck with all due cards, red flag, in the deck “Idiomas”, without rescheduling cards)

2 Likes

the SM2 algorithym really need improvements.

what about FSRS?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.