[Bug] New Cards Don't Appear in Correct Order

Hello there,

I’m a long time Anki user (over ten years now). I love Anki! And rely on it a lot for foreign language study. However, I’ve recently come across a somewhat annoying bug.

My decks all have their new card settings set to “sequential (oldest first)”. However, I’m finding that sometimes, more recently added cards are coming up before others that were added before them. When I check the “due” column in browser I find that indeed, the numbers are not sequential.

I found a fix for this, and that is to change the settings from “sequential” to “random”, and then go “check database”, before changing the settings back to “sequential” and then running another “check database”. That puts the cards in the right order, and checking the “due” column in browser confirms that. However, it’s kind of annoying having to do that constantly and with multiple decks. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Also just attaching a screenshot from browser. Here you can see that the cards I added today are due sooner for review than the ones I added yesterday, despite my current settings being on “sequential (oldest first)”.


And just to clarify, I’m adding these new cards using the desktop (PC) version of Anki (which is synced with an Android phone).

Tools>Check Database will update Anki’s idea of the next card position it should use.

1 Like

Hi there,

I found that running “check database” once doesn’t fix this problem. I have to run it twice (after first switching to random order and then again after switching back to sequential) in order for this to be fixed. And even if running check database once did work, this is happening so frequently now that I’d have to be doing it constantly. Is there no permanent fix for this so that cards will always be added in the correct order? Is what I’m curious.

Check database updates the position that will be used when new cards are added. It does not affect any cards that you added previously, which toggling the card order does. The next position should remain correct as you add cards, but I don’t recall off the top of my head whether importing material updates it.

Yeah. The problem is still occurring. I’m not importing any new material. Any idea as to why the new cards I add will be coming up for review in non-chronological order? The only thing I can think of is because I’m adding new cards on the PC, and doing my daily reviews and syncing with the android app. This problem never used to occur before though. Here’s what I’m seeing:

The current position is sent when syncing, by whichever device has been modified most recently. If you forget to sync at the start and end of each session and then add cards, you could cause it to revert to an older number. Syncing in Anki: Getting Started - YouTube

Thanks. PC Anki automatically syncs at the start and end of each session, but I’ll make it a point to sync at the start and end of each session on the Android app too. Let’s see if that fixes the problem.

I’ve been experimenting with this suggestion (making sure to sync at the start and end of every session). I’ve noticed some improvement. But there are still some minor issues (I’m being a little pedantic now). See the screenshot. Really weird, I actually never used to have problems like this in the past. And my issues are mostly with this one particular deck.

Will keep testing this and see what happens.

Yeah, this issue is still recurring. Each day I review first on my Android phone, making sure to sync at the start and end of that session. Then I use the PC version to add a few new cards (sync is automatic upon opening and closing). However, the order is still slightly jumbled as in the picture.

One possibility is that AnkiDroid is marking the collection as modified prior to you syncing, causing the last position to sync in the wrong direction. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could try the latest AnkiDroid alpha and enable the new schema code to see if it helps.

OK, thanks for the advice. I might try that. Weird though, today it worked. It (the syncing before reviews tip) works sometimes, but is inconsistent.

Yeah but now it’s gone back to the wrong order (despite making sure to sync before and after all sessions on Android and PC). Will try alpha and the new schema code later. Thanks.

FYI, upgrading to ⁨2.1.61 didn’t help resolve this either.

I suggest you stop using AnkiDroid for a while and instead use AnkiWeb when you usually used AnkiDroid, to rule out AnkiDroid as the cause of these issues.

I stopped using AnkiDroid for the past five days, and have been doing my reviews on the PC rather than on the smartphone. Now the problem has gone away. Cards are being added in the correct order. I’m going to do some more tests over the next few days.

FYI, it seems that just the act of syncing using Ankidroid (and not doing any reviewing or adding cards etc) alone messes up the card order.

Sounds like it may be a bug. AnkiDroid is going to have a new stable release out soon for the first time in a very long time, so I suggest you wait until then, and see if the issue has been resolved. If it hasn’t, please report it to the AnkiDroid developers (though they’re likely going to be busy for a while after the stable release)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.