My Anki on MacOS X became corrupted. I uninstalled it completely using CleanMyMac which deletes auxiliary files also, however not everything is deleted. I reinstalled Anki after rebooting and it is still corrupted. Some state was preserved even after the uninstall.
How can I do a complete clean uninstall on MacOS X?
Please next time share the cross-post with reddit as you may potentially waste a volunteer’s time once the issue is solved there.
It doesn’t seem this question has been answered. Can someone provide a clear answer? Is there an uninstaller for Mac OS? I can’t find instructions anywhere. I too want to have a fresh start with Anki for various reasons.
The program files are all contained in the .app file. Your user data is all contained in Anki’s data folder. https://docs.ankiweb.net/#/files?id=file-locations
This does not answer the question at all. This information is readily available in the Anki manual.
Again, can someone who definitely knows the answer please provide a clear answer to the question?
Since there has been no answer 18 hours after my original post, I decided to just guess at how to uninstall and have a fresh start with Anki. This, of course, is less than ideal, and hopefully someone who actually knows will provide an answer some day.
But until then, I offer the steps I took below as best I can remember. I had 3 places to consider: MacOS Anki, iOS Anki App, and ankiweb.
- deleted each deck on both the computer version and at ankiweb
- deleted the iOS Anki App, removing all its data
- then signed out of ankiweb
- closed Anki on my computer, trashed all Anki folders located in
trashed the Anki App in the application folder, emptied the trash, and
- Restarted the computer and installed the latest Anki Version 2.1.29 (bbff62bf). Opened Anki, resigned in on ankiweb and it said:
You have 306.76MB of media stored in your account. If you recently deleted notes that referenced sounds or images, you can use Tools>Check Media in the computer version of Anki to remove any unused media, and then sync to remove it from AnkiWeb as well.
On my computer when I tried to sync it asked if I wanted to download media, so I said no.
- Then I used Tools–> Check Media and saw a window showing all the unused media. I chose to delete all of those, which took a minute or so and then when I refreshed ankiweb it showed I only had 6.5MB
- I then did a final sync on the computer and saw just the default deck in both locations
- reinstalled the iOS Anki App
- The first time I did a sync, needed to sign in at all 3 locations