Anki keeps adding a deck from my other profile

So I have my main profile that I use for myself, and a profile that I’m managing for a student of mine on the same computer.

My main profile has a deck called “Chinese Master” which has many sub decks.

Often I will go into the other profile and there will be an empty deck (or deck group?) called “+Chinese Master” in this other profile, somehow weirdly copied over from my main profile. I can delete it and it will be gone for a few days and then I’ll go into the second profile and it will randomly be there again.

I’m not sure if this is a problem with the desktop version or the general syncing thing.

As a side note, for the second profile I’ve used a variation of my gmail address, just adding periods in random places, which means that gmail will recognise these as the same address and emails go to the same account.
I’m not sure I’m explaining this well, but for example test@gmail.com and t.e.st@gmail.com count as the same account in gmail and you will receive emails from these in the same inbox.
I’m not sure if this has something to do with it. Seems unlikely though.

Any ideas?

Have you tried not to sync your student’s profile for some time, to see if that prevents the deck from appearing again?

1 Like

Tried to leave it for a while. The deck stayed gone for some time afterwards but now it’s back again.

The only explanations I can think of is that it’s being added by your student (which you can confirm by avoiding syncing and seeing if the issue comes up again), or you are accidentally importing it by double-clicking on an .apkg file on your desktop to start Anki.

It might be added from their side, but not purposefully. Everything else is syncing normally, so if I delete the deck, wouldn’t it be deleted for them too?

Also, I had deleted the deck on my side before they installed Anki on their side, it only appeared later after the first sync.

So it synced to their side in the initial sync, but I can’ understand how it got their in the first place since it’s from a completely different anki profile.