Anki can't open/sync on MacOS27 - “A network error occurred.Error details: error sending request for url ()”

Hello,

I have been using Anki for a month with no issues until a day ago. I’ve recently added another profile to download an anki deck on and then export it as an apkg instead of a colpkg. This created a bug with my onigiri add-on (wouldn’t let me use the app or click anything) but did not interfere with my other profile which I opened using safe mode w. no add-ons. Everything was working normally again until I got the current error message im getting now. I updated my mac which seemed to fix it until I tried to synchronise and I got this error message:

“A network error occurred.
Error details: error sending request for url ()”

I have already tried:

  • Reinstalling Anki - already on latest version

  • Updating my Mac

  • Mac is M3

  • macOS Golden Gate Version 27.0.1

  • Tried using personal hotspot - Wifi was working previously and is still working for others using anki

  • No proxy configured

  • Firewall disabled

  • Check for updates in all add-ons - no updates available

  • AnkiWeb wont let me synchronise either

  • Starting anki without add-ons after getting the current error message which lets me start the app and click on stuff but synchronising still doesn’t work

  • This error also occurs when I try Check for Updates through tools

A network error occurred.

Error details: ⁨error sending request for url (https:/api.github.com/repos/ankitects/anki/releases/latest)⁩

Could you please help me fix this error message and how to fix the synchronisation problem?

Thank you.

There is some aspect of your computer or network connection that is not working when Anki tries to connect to the AnkiWeb server to sync. The same problem also seems to occur during the “check for updates” operation.

If you run Anki from the Terminal app command line using the /Applications/Anki.app/Contents/MacOS/Anki command, do you see any additional error messages printed to the terminal when the problem occurs?

You might want to try all the regular network troubleshooting activities, things like:

  • Power-off and power-on your computer.
  • Power-off and power-on your network modem and/or router.

(In the past, updating the OS has helped other people seeing this problem. You said that doing so seemed to help initially, but then the problem re-appeared for you.)

(I’m not sure what you meant by “AnkiWeb won’t let me synchronise either”?)