Will a media collection of ~400GB hurt on win10 PC?

hi i just want short answer so not to waste others time.

i am betting onto image occlusion, and i found several ebook will already
make the media collection to be about 1GB:

quote of ankiweb FAQ at bottom, with refernce to it…
the IO are .png and thus will never exist the limit of a single media.
currently my collection excluding the media are just 8MB (i used anki for 1-2 years).

my drive C is 512GB. will that be ok?
as syncing only up/download file at first time?

ps would like to ask the same Q on ankidroid too thx.
about moving to tf card.

ps:
link to the ankidroid post:

========================================
Collections on AnkiWeb are limited to a compressed size of 100MB, and an uncompressed size of 250MB. This includes the text on your cards and the scheduling information, but does not include sounds/images, as they are stored separately.

Most users will never reach the limit. 25,000 average-sized cards and several years of review history will take up about 25MB, so to hit the limit you usually need to either be copying large amounts of text into each card, or filling your collection with hundreds of thousands of new cards that you aren’t actually studying.

At the moment there are no limits on the size of your media, although the size of individual media files is limited to 100MB.

It should be fine, technically, but it will by a nightmare to synchronize (especially on Android), and there’s a high chance you will never see that many cards anyway, it doesn’t seem manageable. And I don’t really see how you can easily get 400gb of useful media.

Try to keep your collection as small as possible to avoid it getting slow and syncing problems. Just add what you think you will use.

There’s an addon that will convert your images to webp as well, that could also help. https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1151815987

5 Likes

thanks for reply,

but the fastest way to make IOs for me is to use add on “pdf to anki” using basic note type;
then when i want make an IO, i simply browse to that folder, click on IO’s button and make it.

otherwise if I import page by page, it’s more click away.

thanks

If more than a very few people take this approach, I foresee AnkiWeb will become a paid service. 400GB is a very large amount of storage for a free service. Please don’t ruin it for us all.

6 Likes

I’m not sure I understand. You want to convert entire books into cards, one page per card? And then not use the majority of the cards, but sync them anyway? What will you do with all the cards which you won’t use for IO? Do they just sit there?

I don’t understand this workflow, to be honest, maybe I’m missing something.

In any case, for these kind of collections, I would suggest not using AnkiWeb and just keeping your collection locally, possibly in an external storage device. It’ll be much easier to copy you backup and import to AnkiDroid, instead of trying to sync it (which most probably won’t work properly with those sizes).

If you anticipate your collection growing much above 10GB, please keep the collection on one device or use your own sync server instead of consuming AnkiWeb’s resources.

https://docs.ankiweb.net/sync-server.html

7 Likes

sure, will start to try do so.

but technically will that be ok? thx

btw, i am on 2.1.54, last time i saw if beyond 2.1.54 the self-server dont work.
let me check out thx.

changed…
Anki 2.1.57+ includes a built-in sync server. Advanced users who cannot or do not wish to use AnkiWeb can use this sync server instead of AnkiWeb.

btw, i suppose this is the size on the server, so i’ll keep an eye on the Right item for < 10GB, thx.

hi,
i tried to delete those less necessary card/notes at the moment,
the “storage” on the Rt side is greatly reduced,
but the Lt didn’t.

as far as i understand, the Lt side are those “text” contents?

the less necessary card/notes deleted contain images and text (the whole page’s text) by the “pdf to note” addon. thus is it when i delete them,
both the Rt side and the Lt side should be reduced?

thanks

i have tried to check media, check database, sync etc for several times.

looks like explanations are here:

1 Like

ps, may be it takes some time for the collection to shrink?
now is ok

Operations like Check Media will get progressively slower as the media folder grows, but it shouldn’t have much of an effect on daily operations like reviewing.

1 Like

looks like it is do-able.

on win10 my anki have to be install version as some addon requires it.
I experienced with portable anki before.
yet from the manual and others, the -b option could still be used by install version of anki (although officially discouraged).
As i got a 512GB USB SSD, i could use the installed anki.exe /w the folder copy/moved onto the USB SSD.

And use anki 2.1.57+ for the self host server.

for ankidroid, there already many people showed success by moving the whole ankidroid onto TF cards. i could buy a 512GB tf card too. and sync with the self host.

If you travel outside your home (or really: outside your Wi-FI or Internet network), you will find synchronisation with big decks is next to impossible.

I have learnt: when I travel, I ensure all the big decks I need to use while on a plane or elsewhere out of contact with a network have been synchronised first.

I cant agree on you after i played with 2.1.60.

i got a windows tablet of 128GB emmc + 512GB tf card, about 1-200 GB available.

i installed 2.1.60 in it, make 2 folder, 1 is for user’s anki data,
the other will be the anki server. (yes, duplicated).

this user anki could syn to this anki server.

my android phone can also sync it, too.
as long as they connect to the same router (in the same network)

i am now just need to try move the ankidroid folder to the SD card.

everything under control.

indeep i suggest every people so conservative like me (who still wish to stay on 2.1.54) to try the newer versions.

now, with the self sync server, i could throw everything, anything in my life and anki will arrange/remind me.

unfortunately,
IOE image occlusion enhanced dont work well in 2.1.57+,
i was forced back to 2.1.54.

either i have to manually sync media,
or try the older community server.

ps:
as i put ankidroid onto tf card,
now on android i have to setup a FTP server,
and manually sync from desktop to the tfcard.

a working solution.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.