Anki Desktop Collection within storage limits but won't sync

Hi there. Long time Anki user/fan, who has greatly appreciated the many posts of others that have helped me out in the past. I’ve come across some issues syncing my current collection. I’m aware of the 100/250 MB limit for collections and have read all relevant posts, but am still unable to resolve my issue.

Essentially, my Anki Desktop collection when exported without media is 80.1 MB:
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 13.07.49

However, I am still unable to sync with AnkiWeb, even after checking database multiple times, deleting an unused deck, and deleting the review history of the majority of my cards:

My AnkiWeb collection says it is 877 MB

Just wondering how I can sync from desktop to web as I can’t actually figure out what to delete given my collection without media on my computer is within the limits. Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you tried to force upload your Desktop collection to overwrite AnkiWeb?

[It might be worth doing a Check Media as well – even though that’s outside the limits. Saves AnkiWeb from continuing to host 8GB of media if you’re not using it.]

Hi Danika. Thanks for your reply. I actually

1. checked media - deleted all unused files
  2. checked database
  3. then exported my collection with media
  4. then deleted all my decks and media from my profile
  5. synced with ankiweb (now my ankiweb deck shows nearly 0 MB)
  6. Deleted my anki profile
  7. Created a new profile and imported old collection
  8. checked media and deleted unused files again
  9. checked database
  10. tried to force a 1 way sync to ankiweb from desktop
    Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 18.10.04

I’m still getting this error message^.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 18.11.38

I tried exporting my collection without media and it still says it’s only 80 MB (far below the limit for deck size without media). All my media has already been localized via the localize media add on. I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do to make my collection sync with the web :frowning:

That sounds pretty comprehensive! The only thing I don’t see you mentioning is running Anki without add-ons to see if you get the same result.

I’m not familiar with that one. If it’s doing anything non-standard with the files when it localizes them – that might be worth looking at.

There have been a few similar-ish reports lately, so check if any of them suggest things you haven’t thought of yet. Other than that, this sounds like something @dae will know a solution for, or a step you can do differently.

If you’re looking at an exported .colpkg/.apkg file, they are compressed. You need to look at the .anki2 file to see the actual space used: Managing Files - Anki Manual

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.