Vocabular Extractor Support

Please report issues with https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1152823001 Vocabulary Extractor here.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing a link, but the link is not opening the shared deck itself.

I think the correct link would be: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1152823001

Thank you.

Nevermid my commet, that actually is an add-on and not a shared deck.

I installed this add-on but I don’t know how to use it. I don’t see any option to choose txt file.

Go to Tools > Vocabulary Extractor > EXTRACT.
Then press Browse.

1 Like

On Linux Version 2.1.22 (0ecc189a)
Python 3.8.1 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1
there is no such option.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.70.0
Qt Version: 5.15.0
Kernel Version: 5.7.0-3-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit

Thank you for your help. I believe the issue is now resolved. May you please try reinstalling the addon to see whether this problem persists? Thank you.

Debug info:
Anki 2.1.22 (0ecc189a) Python 3.8.1 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1
Platform: Linux
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=1
Add-ons, last update check: 2020-06-21 14:22:45
Add-ons possibly involved: ⁨Vocabulary Extractor study difficult words prior to reading a book⁊

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/1152823001/__init__.py", line 190, in next
    self.stage2()
  File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/1152823001/__init__.py", line 251, in stage2
    createsbook(self,self.excerptType)
  File "/home/user/.local/share/Anki2/addons21/1152823001/__init__.py", line 412, in createsbook
    for line in sourcebook:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/codecs.py", line 322, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 265: invalid start byte

Thank you for the report. I was able to replicate the error and I believe the latest version resolves it. (If it persists please specify the type of document.)

It works now. Thank you very much.

Is it possible to use this with other languages like for example Japanese?
Which steps should I take to do this?

Thank you for the interest. This add-on is still in development and currently only supports English. I plan to introduce support for other languages within the next week.

1 Like

That would be excellent! This is just what i’m needing right now :smiley:

The add-on now supports Japanese. Please report any problems you encounter during use.

This addon seems to be very useful for English learners. The author deserves great recognition for that work.
Nonetheless, I have two questions.
What is the source (dictionary) to provide words definitions?
Is there any good explanation of how the algorithm chooses the words? What exactly mean 1-100 level?

Thank you for the interest.

1. The default dictionary is a public domain Webster’s dictionary from 1913. (Therefore the defintions are often somewhat antiquated.)
  2. A word is flagged if its frequency of occurrence is less than 10^-(6.3+level/100). For example, a level 0 word occurs once in every 2 million words whereas a level 100 word occurs once in every 20 million words.

It was working great for me, but the last couple times I’ve tried to use the Extractor everything seems to go smoothly (even asks me know/learn) but doesn’t end up creating any cards. Am I missing something? I recently updated to 2.1.33.

Thank you for the report. I am working to debug this issue. Are the cards ending up in the default deck?

Once they ended up in a deck I didn’t recognize {another deck}::xxxx or something similar. But I just tried again with another book and got nothing.