Very Specific But Quite Consistent Bug In Browser

I am encountering an annoying bug in the browser on Anki Version 2.1.33 (3f403040). This bug arises when I am editing preexisting cards in the browser, and causes whatever changes I make to the cards to immediately revert as soon as I change the flag on the card as an indicator that my work editing that card is completed. Here are the steps I can take to reproduce the bug with a high level of consistency:

• I have a set of cards which were originally basic note types.
  • I tag all of these cards with flag-3 to keep track of them through my editing.
  • I used shift+ctl+m to change all of these cards to Cloze types.
  • I then click on an individual card to start changing it to be appropriate for clozes.

e.g.

“This city is the capital of Syria” —> Damascus (flag 3)

I will change this card to

“{{c1::Damascus::which city?}} is the capital of Syria” (flag 3)

• As soon as the card is updated, I immediately hit ctl+3 in order to remove the flag from the card.

• The flag is correctly removed, but approximately 50% of the time, at the same time as the flag removal, my card reverts back to how it looked while I was in the middle of editing it.

e.g.

“{{c1::Damascus::which city?}} is the capital of Syria” (flag 3)

hit ctl+3, then suddenly card transforms into:

“{{c1::Damascus}} is the capital of Syria” (no flag)

OR it transforms into:

{{c1::Damascus}} city is the capital of Syria" (no flag)

Like I said, this bug is reproducible with a high degree of consistency

Thanks for the report, I’ll look into it.

A few more details:

• The bug happens even with all add-ons disable (shift-start).
  • The bug happens on other flags too, not just flag 3.

Here is a video of the bug in action:

At 0:51, you see that hitting ctl+3 causes the card to lose its flag, but also removes the Italics from the card.

At 1:16, you see that hitting ctl+3 causes the card to lose its flag, but also removes the word “what?” from the card.

At 1:50, you see that hitting ctl+3 causes the card to lose its flag, but also removes the word “pope?” from the card.

At 2:18, you see that hitting ctl+3 causes the card to lose its flag, but also removes “which Stephen King novel?” from the card.

At 2:20, you see that hitting ctl+3 again causes the card to regain its flag, and also re-adds “which Stephen King novel?” to the card.

I hope this video helps explain the issue and helps in your debugging.

2 Likes

A fix will be in the next release.

2 Likes

Thank you!