TTS functionality

Is it correct to say that Anki desktop TTS will read cloze elisions as the english word “blank” by default? Is there a way to disable this behavior ? Some users of AwesomeTTS have brought it up, and I’ve instructed them to add a text replacement rule to get around the issue for now.
Same question for AnkiMobile iOS, can this behavior be disabled ? Given input say this {{c1::word}}, I want audio output to read say this instead of say this blank.

It currently can’t be turned off. Do you have more info on their use case? I’ve only had one report about this so far, and it was a user who was adding an empty cloze to the end of each question, when they would have been better off using a standard Basic notetype.

To be precise, it uses a localisation of “blank” depending on the interface language. So if you have set Anki to French, “[…]” will be pronounced “vide”, even if the TTS voice is Japanese for example.

1 Like

@dae some users just don’t like hearing “blank”, not sure whether there’s anymore to it. thankfully it can be replaced with empty strings so it works for them, but someone asked whether this can be turned off on mobile. I have the answer now. I think it may be specific to medical students but i’ll try to find out more.
Separately, with Anki 2.1.20’s TTS feature, at some point it seemed like a good idea to use the TTS framework, but it seems that some power users really have very specific demands which may warrant implementing some kind of template format for AwesomeTTS’ successor.

What features are currently missing that wouldn’t be covered by Decide on a syntax for tts outside of field references · Issue #1507 · ankitects/anki · GitHub?