Standard build won't start

I underwent a major problem this morning upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004. Windows got unstable, Files Explorer was crashing, and none of my Anki versions where working. I solved the Files Explorer problem, and Anki now works only in the alternate version, including Beta 2. All other versions (64 bits) are no longer working directly, but if I run the console via prompt, these 64bits versions work.

The console message is below.

Sorry to bother you, I know that my Windows isn’t cooperating, and things are not as they were when I sent the first message anymore, but as I thought strange that the regular 64 bits version works using the console, but not directly, I’m sending the debug info, just in case.

C:\Users\hugom>cd \program files\anki & anki-console
[12704] PyInstaller Bootloader 3.x
[12704] LOADER: executable is C:\Program Files\Anki\anki-console.exe
[12704] LOADER: homepath is C:\Program Files\Anki
[12704] LOADER: _MEIPASS2 is NULL
[12704] LOADER: archivename is C:\Program Files\Anki\anki-console.exe
[12704] LOADER: C:\Program Files\Anki\anki-console.exe contains a digital signature
[12704] LOADER: No need to extract files to run; setting extractionpath to homepath
[12704] LOADER: SetDllDirectory(C:\Program Files\Anki)
[12704] LOADER: Already in the child - running user’s code.
[12704] LOADER: Python library: C:\Program Files\Anki\python38.dll
[12704] LOADER: Loaded functions from Python library.
[12704] LOADER: Manipulating environment (sys.path, sys.prefix)
[12704] LOADER: sys.prefix is C:\Program Files\Anki
[12704] LOADER: Pre-init sys.path is C:\Program Files\Anki\base_library.zip;C:\Program Files\Anki
[12704] LOADER: Setting runtime options
[12704] LOADER: Initializing python
[12704] LOADER: Overriding Python’s sys.path
[12704] LOADER: Post-init sys.path is C:\Program Files\Anki\base_library.zip;C:\Program Files\Anki
[12704] LOADER: Setting sys.argv
[12704] LOADER: setting sys._MEIPASS
[12704] LOADER: importing modules from CArchive
[12704] LOADER: extracted struct
[12704] LOADER: callfunction returned…
[12704] LOADER: extracted pyimod01_os_path
[12704] LOADER: extracted pyimod02_archive
[12704] LOADER: extracted pyimod03_importers
[12704] LOADER: Installing PYZ archive with Python modules.
[12704] LOADER: PYZ archive: PYZ-00.pyz
[12704] LOADER: Running pyiboot01_bootstrap.py
[12704] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_multiprocessing.py
[12704] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_win32comgenpy.py
[12704] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_certifi.py
[12704] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_pyqt5.py
[12704] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_pkgres.py
[12704] LOADER: Running pyi_rth_pyqt5webengine.py
[12704] LOADER: Running runanki.py
mpv too old for key rebinding
deckDueTree() is deprecated; use decks.deck_tree() for a tree without counts, or sched.deck_due_tree()
conf key imgocc should be fetched with col.get_config(), and saved with col.set_config()
conf key imgocc should be fetched with col.get_config(), and saved with col.set_config()
LZO compression support is not available
deckDueTree() is deprecated; use decks.deck_tree() for a tree without counts, or sched.deck_due_tree()
JS error :1 Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined

For me, as before, only the alternate version of Beta 2 is working directly; the standard 64 bits version works solely via Anki Console.

That sounds consistent with the issue others are experiencing with the Windows 2004 update. I can’t seem to reproduce this on machines here, but since you’re a beta tester, would you be willing to try some things in the hope of getting to the bottom of it?

I take it that the standard build fails to load, but does not show any error message? If you run it from cmd.exe, is anything printed? If you temporarily rename your %APPDATA%\Anki2 folder while Anki is closed, then start the standard version, does it still fail to load? After testing, please rename the folder back so the other Anki versions can locate your data again.

I may need to build a special version with more debug info to get to the bottom of it.

Ok, please install

https://apps.ankiweb.net/downloads/beta/anki-windows-debug.exe

Does it start without issue?

If not, please download and run https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/debugview, try to start Anki again, and then screenshot everything you see (expanding the window so all the text can be read)

Damien,

I did as you said and renamed my %APPDATA% Anki folder. By doing this, the original standard Beta 2 showed finally signs of life, but just to show these error messages in sequence:

img 1

img 2

After that, I installed the Anki version of your subsequent post (anki-windows-debug). It started regularly. I deleted the other %APPDATA% created as I opened the new Anki debug version and renamed back my original %APPDATA% to Anki2. Everything went well.

And after that, even the original standard installation of Beta 2, as well as the standard 2.1.26 (also installed in my machine), started to work regularly too. By now, after your magic, all versions, alternate or standard, are working without problems.

Thanks hugo, I’ve put out a new beta with these changes. It’s a mystery as to why this also fixed the other builds, but glad to hear they’re working for you now.