Split existing desk into several sub-desks

I recently installed Anki on my PC, Windows 10.
I’m really excited about it.
To familiarise myself with Anki, I downloaded a few existing desks.
“Spanish 9000 sentences with native audio” Spanish <> English.
A great achievement! Thank you.
I want to modify this Desk, for example add language German.
Before I do that, I would like to
a) make a copy;
Question: how do I clone, copy an existing Desk?
b) very important:
I want to divide the whole desk into about 20 batches, because 9000 records in a single desk is way too much.
Question: how do I divide a desk into several sub-desks?

Tanks, Peter El Salvador

To make a copy of the deck, you may want to use an add-on like this: Copy notes - AnkiWeb

After that, you can open the card browser from the Browse button, select each batch of cards and use the Cards > Change Deck option to move them. The Change Deck dialog has an Add button to add new decks. You can use it to create each subdeck before clicking Move Cards to move the cards to the subdeck.

1 Like

I would recommend against this decision. Anki’s deck can handle a great amount of cards, but Anki is not meant to handle a great amount of decks. Even though I have been a little hand-wavy about what exactly it means a “great amount of”, the idea is that you are not supposed to split your decks without any particular reason. Indeed, the main way to organize and categorize your notes should be using tags, not using subdecks, since they are more flexible and more efficient.

3 Likes

Hello Blackbeans,
thanks for your advice.
I meant “great amount of”: The deck contains at least 9000 records.

The reason why I wanted to split the deck:
The records should be exported to Excel, as I can edit them faster there.
However, I found out that with the add-on “Duplicate and Reorder” a maximum of 1000 records can be exported to Excel.
In addition, the records modified in Excel + new records from Excel should also be transferred to other learning programmes.
As a beginner in Anki, I am very grateful for your advice…:
Anki is not meant to handle a great amount of decks … should be using tags, not using subdecks, since they are more flexible and more efficient … should be using tags, not using subdecks, since they are more flexible and more efficient.”
As a beginner I haven’t dealt with “tags” in Anki yet, I will do that next.
Thanks again
Peter, El Savador

I think you can legitimately submit an issue if that add-on cannot handle larger batches than 1000 records, and hopefully the author of the add-on will quickly patch that.