Reverse deck - Shared deck

Dear community,

The shared decks are awesome. I am very grateful for people making and sharing these decks. But I ran into a problem. I hope you have a solution.

I use the New Practical Chinese Reader words - Books 1 to 5 deck to study Chinese. But this deck is only simplified Chinese characters - English/Pinyin. I also want to study it the otherway around.

I tried following the instructions in the Anki 2: Switching Card Order manual video on Youtube. But I get this error after I click flip.

I am afraid this is caused by the amount of fields. I can’t just reverse it like a basic deck. Because this deck has 4 fields:

1. Simplified
  2. Traditional
  3. Pinyin
  4. Definition

So what I want is getting the English definition on the frontend. And see both the simplified characters and pinyin as answer.

I mainly use the desktop version. But I have my mobile app synchronised.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Click Options > Add Card Type…

Front Template:

<p class="definition">{{Definition}}</p>

Back Template:

{{FrontSide}}
<hr/>
<div class="chinese">{{Simplified}}</div>
<p class="pinyin">{{Pinyin}}</p>
1 Like

Hello Kelciour,

Thanks for your reply. I have added the card type using the coding you provided. But I think this causes another problem.

I have done 20 cards English to Chinese. But I don’t get any cards Chinese to English anymore?
Is this because the direction is replaced. Or do I have to study a bunch of English to Chinese to catch up in cards to the Chinese to English?

I am afraid this simply replaced the direction of learning because the English to Chinese words started where I yesterday ended with Chinese to English.

my english is not very good(i am not quite understand your mean)
the below content may be useful

Siblings and Burying

Recall from the basics that Anki can create more than one card for each thing you input, such as a front→back card and a back→front card, or two different cloze deletions from the same text. These related cards are called siblings . Anki tries to ensure siblings are not shown close together, as that’s usually not helpful.

When you answer a card that has siblings, Anki prevents the card’s siblings from being shown in the same session by automatically burying them. Buried cards are hidden from review until the clock rolls over to a new day or you manually unbury them using the “Unbury” button that’s visible at the bottom of the deck overview screen. Anki will bury siblings even if the siblings are not in the same deck (for instance, if you use the deck override feature).

Anki will only bury siblings that are new or review cards. It will not hide cards in learning, as time is of the essence for those cards. On the other hand, when you study a learning card, any new/review siblings will be buried.

If you want to see more than one card of a note per day when learning or reviewing cards, you can stop Anki from burying cards in the deck options.

2 Likes

I was not able to figure out how to do that. I think I have the same problem here. I can’t just reverse side 1 with side 2. Because side 2 has 2 options.

@kelciour I would really appreciate it if you could answer my 2nd question.

Thank you

If somebody has a solution to add 2 identical shared decks to my Anki decks. That would be great as well. Then I will just learn from the 2 different decks instead of the 2 put together to 1.

I tried to import a 2nd identical deck but I get this error:
Notes skipped, as they’re already in your collection: 3845

Here’s a copy of the original shared deck with the second card type added (reversed) - https://gofile.io/d/tUMBOq

To make a copy and solve “Notes skipped, as they’re already in your collection”, I exported it as txt, imported it in a new deck and added the second card type.

https://docs.ankiweb.net/#/exporting?id=exporting

If you don’t see any reverse cards, it might mean that there’s no Card 2 in the card template window, i.e. the deck was reversed without adding a new card type. Here’s the card template window (front and back side) that contains Card 1 and Card 2 - https://imgur.com/a/SBZMgLX. Or reverse cards (siblings) were buried until the next day - https://imgur.com/OXD5wD1. By default, it’s off and reverse cards might appear in the current session. To quickly test it, just create a new Anki profile, import the above deck and just review cards by pressing Space.

3 Likes

Also the original shared deck has a lot of duplicates, i.e. the first field colored in red. They have the same first field but have different tags, e.g. lesson-1 and lesson-2, and maybe some other fields are different too.

1 Like

You made my day. Thank you so much!

Could you please reupload it on gofile? Or somewhere else. I lost it due to a PC crash. Thank you!

It’s a new one - Gofile - Free file sharing and storage platform

2 Likes

You are the best, thank you so much!