Randomizing Anki cards

Okay I’m not talking about the “show new cards in random order” option. I’m talking about a different kind of randomization. So here’s the situation:

I currently have a deck of Japanese vocabulary words. For illustration purposes, let’s just say that there are 100 unstudied cards in that deck. So I then proceed with my study of 20 new cards for today which brings the total unstudied cards down to 80. Now after I study, I add about 15 new words I encountered from watching anime which brings the total unstudied cards up to 95. The next morning, I study 20 new cards again and review the other 20 I studied yesterday.

Now my problem is, whenever I study these new 20 cards, anki will get about 10-12 of those 20 new cards from the 15 new cards I added. Is there a way for me to get anki to get my 20 new words from the total pool of 95 unstudied cards instead of the new cards being added? What’s happening right now is the new ones I add are the only ones I study and the really old cards remain untouched. I really cant afford missing out adding new cards because I make it a point to add new words I encounter while watching or reading. Is there a way for me to do this?

From the manual:

Order controls whether Anki should add new cards into the deck randomly, or in order. When you change this option, Anki will re-sort the decks using the current option group. One caveat with random order mode: if you review many of your new cards and then add more new cards, the newly added material is statistically more likely to appear than the previously remaining cards. To correct this, you can change the order to ordered mode and back again to force a re-sort.

So the “show new cards in random order” option is what you want :slight_smile:

Alternatively and for more control, you can reposition new cards from the browser. Please see Introduction - Anki Manual

2 Likes

Thanks!