Possible to determine when exactly a card will be due? (Non-obvious answer、I presume)

Options
My steps are set to [1] (just 1 minute) and my graduating interval to 7 days. So when I see a study a card for the first time and grade as as “GOOD”、I should see it again in exactly 7 days.
For test’s sake、I’ve disabled all my add-ons and made a new profile with 15 cards、which I’ve censored、as shown above. Even though I’ve marked all of these never-studied cards as “GOOD” today (November 2nd)、they are due to different days: 3 one of them are due November 7th (5 days from now、not 7 as it should)、only 2 of them are due November 9th、7 days from now.
Is this normal? If yes、how can I get all of them to show up again exactly 7 days from now?
P.S. I’ve read the whole manual、read articles online and recently learnt HTML and CSS in order to use the software. My decks are 100% ready、this is the only issue I cannot figure out on my own. I’ve also tried the V2 scheduler and tinkered with other deck options、but cards are always due to different days for some reason.

1 Like

One thing that isn’t mentioned in the manual is the Fuzz Factor. You can read about it on Deck Options Explained.
As far as I know, the only way to have exact intervals (apart from add-ons) is to use learning steps.

4 Likes

cards in learning also have some randomization: in the v1 scheduler it was up to an additional 25% (which could be very long if you run multi-day learning steps). In the v2 scheduler it’s capped at 5 minutes, see here.

for review cards the code that fuzzes the interval is in this function.

4 Likes

Thanks for the solution. I will make an official suggestion so that the Fuzz Factor will be explained in the manual.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer. I will mark @Rumo 's answer as the solution because they have provided a link to the detailed explanation、but your answer is also very helpful and complements his. Appreciate the help.

2 Likes

@Rumo
Thank you for your answer. What do you mean with “learning steps”?
Is it this feature “Steps (in minutes)” like on the left screenshot of the message from UnknownSoldier0, which marked “1” in his Anki?
And if “Yes”, is it the only place where we have “learning steps” in Anki?

Yes, they are the ones. There are also relearning steps.
Pleaser refer to the manual: Deck Options - Anki Manual

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ve read this point in the Manual.
If I’d like to have my learning steps like in this example in the manual “1m 10m 1d”, should I adjust the feature “Steps (in minutes)” and put “1m 10m 1d” there?

Not necessarily. In the example, the 1 day interval is a result of the Graduating Interval. (Also explained on the that site.) No learning step is required for that.

1 Like

@Rumo
Thank you for the answer!

Oh! Then I am not sure I understand all that.
In the example I got it like that:
In this explanation they make a list of 4 positions, every position begins with “When you press …”. As I see the 3rd position refer to “1d” (the last part of “1m 10m 1d”), they say: “it will be delayed until the next day”.
And the 4th position refer to “Graduating Interval”, which can be set to 1 day, 2 days, 3 days 4 days an so on.
For me the third and the forth positions are not the same, the third position refer to “Learning Steps” and the forth position refer already to “Graduating Interval”.

As far as I understand the same explanation gives mmdj2 in Deck Options Explained, under the points “Steps (in minutes)” and “Graduating interval”.

Is that so or not?
Or did I understand you message wrong?

And the second question if I may. Does it mean that if I put “1m 10m 1d” (or only “1m 10m") in “Steps (in minutes)” and “Graduating Interval” to “1day” for example than I have “exact intervals”?
And do you know any add-ons which can set “exact intervals” in Anki?

Sorry, I didn’t read the example carefully enough. Indeed, the third interval of 1 day is due to the third learning step there. However, with the default settings, you will also have an interval of 1 day after pressing Good two times, because of the graduating interval set to 1 day.
After graduating, intervals won’t be exact anymore. But before that you have full control.
I can’t help you with add-ons.

2 Likes