New cards are no longer displayed

Hi Damien,

I have been using Anki for years with its various scheduling options.

So I am just wondering what is going on or what I am doing wrong all of a sudden?

New cards are not shown to me anymore when I set a deck on the top level to e.g. 5 new ones and 50 repetitions daily. Happens identically in several collections.

I can currently only get new cards via filtered decks.

And on this occasion, one other thing:

Since some time Anki brings this hint in the settings, that you should always enter at least ten times the number of repetitions for new cards. But unfortunately this is not a hint, you are forced to do it. Would it be possible to leave it again at the pure hint, but leave the decision to the user?

Thanks
Uwe

You’re probably not seeing any new cards because you have set a maximum of 50 reviews per day.

See Deck Options - Anki Manual

If using the v3 scheduler, please keep in mind that the new count is capped by the review count. If your review limit is set to 200, and you have 190 reviews waiting, a maximum of 10 new cards will be introduced. If your review limit has been reached, no new cards will be shown. If you have a backlog of reviews and still want to introduce new cards, you can do so by suspending the reviews, or increasing your review limit. That said, it is recommended you hold off on new cards until you catch up instead, as introducing more new cards when you’re behind will only make the backlog worse.

So in a way this answers both of your questions. The logic behind this is, you wouldn’t want to introduce new cards if you’re still behind on your reviews. So I would advise increasing your max reviews/day option.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I knew that. but even if I set new card to 1 and review card to 9999 the card dashboard shows only the 9999 review, but no new card.

As I said. Using if for years. No idea, what suddenly happens.

To be clear: No matter what I do, on the start screen the numer of new cards shown ia ALWAYS zero, no matter, what I zry to change in the settings.

If you set your max reviews to 9999 and then your dashboard shows 9999 reviews, then that means you do actually have a 9999+ review backlog. So unless you get your due reviews down, Anki isn’t going to show you new cards.

Since this behaviour was added in the v3 scheduler, you’re probably just experiencing this now because you updated Anki and so the new scheduler is being used.

But I feel like your settings are not right for you, if you have that many reviews piled up… The whole point is that Anki should show you the cards at the right time and then you review them at that time. Why add even more new cards if you have that many reviews waiting?

2 Likes

Ah, okay, I wasn’t aware that Anki now simply suppresses the display of new cards on the dashboard. This is irritating and from my point of view should be left to the user. Seems a little “patronizing”.

Yes, I have a usecase where I still want to make 1 to 3 new cards besides a backlog (which is not 9999, that was just an example for explanation).

Speaking of patronizing. That brings me to the other question I asked above, but maybe I should open a separate ticket for that?

"And on this occasion, one other thing:

Since some time Anki brings this hint in the settings, that you should always enter at least ten times the number of repetitions for new cards. But unfortunately this is not a hint, you are forced to do it. Would it be possible to leave it again at the pure hint, but leave the decision to the user?"

@dae @Freya

To me, it’s one of the best features of v3: if you don’t have time to make all your reviews, you shouldn’t try to learn new cards, it simply doesnt make much sense from a SRS perspective.
However, I think (not 100% sure) making this feature optional was planned.

Anki doesn’t force the user to do that, probably you’re using an addon causing this, try to start the program without add-ons to see if the problem persist.

1 Like

@dae

Thanks for the hint, but I think it doesn’t have anything to do with plugins as I use the Anki iOS app and it happens there. Maybe I should have been more specific about that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, sorry I didn’t realize that you posted on the ankimobile subforum

The message shown in the deck options is just a hint, and does not prevent you making changes to the daily limits. But as @cqg said, if you have enabled the v3 scheduler, the review limit will also affect how many new cards are shown if you are reaching it, so you will need to either increase the limit or suspend or move some overdue cards that you care less about.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.