More Cards Today - Question about V3

I just updated to V3 scheduler on all my devices. The new handling of daily limits is great, but it seems to not work perfectly—or is it by design? Here is what I am seeing. When I reach the daily limit on a deck (indicated by the screen that tells me I have finished for now even though there are more cards and that I should consider increasing my daily limit, etc.), I then exit that deck to go back to the Decks screen. On the decks screen, it shows I still have more review cards due for the deck I just completed. If I tap on that deck immediately, I see the same end of study screen I just described. However, if I do some other action, such as sync or go to another deck, I can come back to the same deck, and then it will show me additional cards as though the daily limit has not been reached.

I noticed this yesterday, but I thought maybe it was because I had just changed to the new scheduler. Today I was more observant to watch what happens, and it happened again on both of the decks where I had more reviews than my daily limit. So my first question is simply whether this is intended: should the Decks screen still show I have more review cards due today even after the daily limit has been reached, and should it then present more cards when I click on the deck? (I notice that the number of due cards on the second round does not equal the total number of cards still remaining, for I can review those cards as well, and if there are still enough cards remaining, the process will repeat for a third time with more cards due today.)

I have observed this from AnkiMobile 20.0.78 on iPad.

Are you up to date?

Thank you for responding. That thread looks like a different issue, as the OP was about setting a very high daily limit, whereas I am deliberately trying to limit the cards. And indeed the limit does seem to work at first, but then it keeps adding more cards back into the queue for review that day. And if I do all of those extra, it will add even more back.

But perhaps the same underlying issue could be affecting what I am seeing.

But just to confirm, do I understand that what I have reported above is not the intended behavior?

I had the same issue or similar ,so I upgraded to the latest version, activated the v3 and also decrased the number of new cards. So it was before for me that more and more cards kept being added even while studing them. But maybe your problem is more a v2 v3 compatibility?

That was actually a bug, not related to the day limits, and solved in 2.1.46. Which Anki version are you using?

I think I am on the most updated version. I gave the version in the first post, but incorrectly added an extra digit. I am on AnkiMobile 2.0.78.

Not using Ankimobile, sorry. I would try to reproduce the problem with 2.1.46 desktop, just to dismiss that possibility.

2.0.78 and 2.1.46 should be functionality equivalent here. I can reproduce the behaviour you describe on your collection and it appears it might be a bug - I’ll look into it further.

1 Like

I’m running into the same bug, but it only affects one of my decks. Thanks!

It was caused by interday learning cards not updating the review limits. This should be indirectly fixed in the next update by no longer subjecting learning cards to the review limits.

Does that mean that all learning cards are going back to being unlimited? I liked the new behavior (except for this issue), which made for good load balancing.

The rationale is here: revert some interday learning changes in v3 · ankitects/anki@8830d33 · GitHub

Thanks for sharing. I would like to offer a counter argument. Perhaps there is no ideal solution, but at least it is worth consideration.

I was particularly excited about V3 because it seemed to be very well constructed for balancing daily load. As V2 only affected review cards, the daily limit had only limitted impact on ebb and flow, but the current V3 had the ability to just about assure a set number of cards per day. If I have set 50 reviews, I would either have my deck limited to 50 cards if there were more reviews, or if there were fewer, new cards would be introduced to reach the limit. In this way it was self controlling.

The most important point in this new behavior (as far as concerns load balancing) is that new cards are not introduced if it means the daily limit would be surpassed. I assume this aspect is not being reverted, so that is a good at least. This introduced a new control mechanism whereby the software could actually self-regulate to adjust for flow. Previously, there was no control mechanism at all: the portion of cards that had review status could be smoothed out, but unless the user carefully adjusts the daily new cards count, the future card load would either continue to increase and pile up or fall below the regular minimum.

The current V3 allows the feedback for this control mechanism (whether or not to add new cards) to be measured by the real daily load on the user. Reverting this particular change separates the control mechanism from the feedback (total count of review cards). In the case of longer learning intervals (which some of us use in order to cope with the ease factor reducing too soon on recently learned cards), this separation could be a few weeks: when a group of new cards are introduced, they will not enter the set of review cards for days or weeks, and so Anki would keep adding new cards because it can’t detect the surge yet. Finally, some of those new cards would eventually make it to the review cards and start to cause the daily limit to be met, shutting off the flow of further new cards. At that point, the learning count would be rather high. Eventually it would work out over a few weeks while no new cards are being introduced for a number of days, but there would be a considerable cycle of ebb and flow.

I have obvserved that learning cards tend to take up the bulk of the study time for my decks where I am actively adding new cards. For example:

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 07.18.47

Under the old system, the review cards are neatly balanced (but for this recent hiccup where I am preparing to move and my schedule is disrupted), but the learning load is wildly varied.

For this reason, the control of the addition of new cards ideally would be measured by the total actual load rather than considering the review cards only. That does not necessarily mean that the learning cards should be limited as they are in the current V3, but if not, then the mechanism for allowing new cards would have to be decoupled from the daily review limit and instead be tied a separate setting created for something like “Add new cards only when total daily cards are less than [__].”

I understand the needs to balance both programming complexity and complexity for the end user, so maybe there is no good solution here, but thanks for thinking about it anyway.

Appreciate the feedback. The loss of a learning limit was a byproduct of the counting change rather than an intentional change in itself, and it is unfortunate that it will delay the feedback cycle. I can’t promise anything, but I’ll give it some more thought.

1 Like

Please let me know how you go in the latest release candidate: Changes in 2.1.47 - Anki Betas

Thank you for considering. I am not able to test the beta this time around because my desktop is already packed away, as I am moving to another state this week. (And I do all my reviews on AnkiMobile anyway; I far prefer the desktop Anki for adding and managing notes).

The change log notes that pertain to this issue looks good, assuming I understand it correctly. It kind of reads the opposite of what I think you have intended based on what I have read in the discussions:

• Interday learning cards are included in the learning count again, instead of the review count.
  • Interday learning cards are still affected by the review limit. The review limit is first applied to interday learning cards, then reviews, and finally new cards.

The “review limit is first applied to interday learning cards” suggests that they are the first to be limited if the review count is reached. Do I understand that it is actually the opposite, that new cards are the first to be withheld, then review cards, etc., if there are more cards due than the limit? To put it the other way around, should I read it that cards are prioritized for review in the order stated in those notes?

I am pretty sure I am just reading that backwards, and if so, then it looks like the solution you are aiming for in this beta is a very reasonable approach to the issues we have raised in this thread, and I do thank you. I keep recommending your app every chance I get. I already have my whole family converted, and my wife has also shared the recommendation with fellow midwifery students with favorable results.

Yes - interday learning cards are fetched first, then reviews, and finally new cards. I’ve tweaked the change notes to make it clearer.

This is now available in an AnkiMobile beta if you’d like to try it: Beta Testing - AnkiMobile Manual

1 Like