"Missing file" message on audio, file is available and works in desktop version

I’ve recently been using a new deck with audio on the back. It’s quite large, 200+mb, and it works find when I’m using my desktop app. Audio plays as expected and no issues.

On the mobile app, however, the audio does not work. I get a “Missing file” message and am unable to play the audio. This happens for most of the files, but occasionally (<5% of the time) I hit one with audio.

I’ve tried Tools>Check Media and the files were not missing. I’ve also pressed “Synchronize” a number of times to no avail. Sync audio and images is enabled as well.

I’m not sure how to get this audio into the mobile app, or if I should just only use this deck with my desktop.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Please try ‘check media’ in the preferences screen of AnkiMobile - I am guessing it does report the files as missing there? If so, does the media sync log say that the sync has completed?

https://faqs.ankiweb.net/media-files-may-take-time-to-sync.html

Exactly. Only thought it was available on the desktop app so thank you! There are a number of items missing there.

In the media sync log it does mention that the sync completed, multiple times. Right now (~18 hours later) it is adding new items (after it previously said the sync was complete).

Should I continue to wait a few days and retry the regular sync daily? Or would clicking “full sync” force a complete sync from AnkiWeb down to the app?

I realize what I’m trying to pull down is a pretty massive file set.

Please check if the same cards show media on ankiweb.net - if they do, it indicates the issue is on AnkiMobile’s side; if they don’t, the issue is with the computer version. If you log out of the device with the issue (preferences screen), then sync again, it will force a rescan of all media, and that will hopefully address the issue. Please let me know how you go.

1 Like