Lag in audio file playback

Hi all,

I got a new computer, and everything has been going fine except for one problem with Anki. I have cards with multiple audio files, and on my old computer and on Ankidroid the card review process looks like this:

• Hit “show card”
  • Audio 1 plays
  • Audio 2 plays
  • Audio 3 plays

Now, with my new computer, the process looks like this:

• Hit “show card”
  • one second pause
  • Audio 1 plays
  • one second pause
  • Audio 2 plays
  • one second pause
  • Audio 3 plays

The delay is just long enough to be annoying. I’ve done some Googling, but haven’t been able to figure out the problem. I thought it might be a processor issue but my new computer should be faster than my phone and old computer. If I manually hit the audio buttons (the little play arrows) there is still a delay. Audio is fine in all other programs. Also important to note is that sometimes for maybe 30-50 reviews the pause disappears and things go back to normal. However, it always comes back. I haven’t been able to figure out a pattern to this.

The new laptop is a Dell XPS 13, if that helps at all. I’m running Anki 2.1.26.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

If you’re feeling adventurous, you may want to try the latest alpha, which has switched to a different audio player: https://betas.ankiweb.net/#/

Hi Damien,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just switched over to the latest alpha (build f44597bb) but it doesn’t seem to have made a difference. Any other thoughts? I just double checked AnkiDroid and the audio playback is still fine there. I’m having a hard time figuring out what the issue could be…

Update: I switched from the RealTek drivers included with the XPS 13 to Microsoft written drivers (as described in this website: https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-realtek-audio-delay-lag/). And I think it fixed the problem! Sorry for bothering you with this, it turns out it was a problem with my computer rather than Anki. I’ll mark the topic as solved.

One question if you don’t mind: Do you have any idea when the new audio player will come to the stable release?

Thank you.

4 Likes