Jisho.org Support

Jisho Support - AnkiWeb Add-on.

This addon automates the creation of Japanese flashcards by looking up information from jisho.

Example
Definition on jisho (日本語)

jisho

Automatic Card Creation
Right-click either on the ‘Expression’ field or the ‘Meaning’ field to automatically create your Japanese flashcard with the information from jisho.
If your Japanese note types have a ‘Sound’ field configured the Jisho Support Add-on will even download the audio file automatically.
Note: audio files will be stored in your anki media collection.

Preview

Features

• Automatically fills card fields from the jisho.org online Japanese dictionary.
  • Automatically downloads audio from jisho. If your Japanese note types have a 'Sound' field configured the Jisho Support Add-on will even download the audio file automatically. Note: audio files will be stored in your anki media collection.
  • Fully compatible with the Japanese Support Add-on. This addon is aware of the Japanese Support Add-on and works alongside seamlessly. By default they work off of the same note types ('Japanese'). This addon will use the Japanese Support Add-on to generate the 'Reading' field.
  • Use as many or as few fields as you want with no additional configuration required. If your note type does not contain some fields, they will not be used. If your note type does contain a field used by the add-on, it will be populated if jisho.org returns any data for it.

Supported Fields

‘Expression’
‘Reading’ (only if you are using the Japanese Support Add-on)
‘JishoReading’
‘Sound’
‘Meaning’
‘PartOfSpeech’
‘Tags’
‘Restrictions’
‘SeeAlso’
‘Antonyms’
‘Info’
‘OtherExpression’
‘OtherJishoReading’

If you want to add additional meanings (and their information) or other Japanese forms of the word to your card you can use the following fields:

‘Meaning1’ up to ‘Meaning9’
‘PartOfSpeech1’ up to ‘PartOfSpeech9’
‘Tags1’ up to ‘Tags9’
‘Restrictions1’ up to ‘Restrictions9’
‘SeeAlso1’ up to ‘SeeAlso9’
‘Antonyms1’ up to ‘Antonyms9’
‘Info1’ up to ‘Info9’
‘OtherExpression1’ up to ‘OtherExpression9’
‘OtherExpression1’ up to ‘OtherExpression9’

Config

5 Likes

This is a wonderful addon! Wondering if perhaps this could be automated while reviewing. For example fetching and inserting the info on-the-fly while doing daily reviews, or maybe bulk adding to multiple cards. Maybe optional buttons for what info one wants to fetch, only audio, only definition, etc. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks!

Wondering if perhaps this could be automated while reviewing. For example fetching and inserting the info on-the-fly while doing daily reviews

Thats a really good idea. I can’t promise anyhting as my time is limited but i will keep it in mind.

or maybe bulk adding to multiple cards

Also a very usefull thing to have. Maybe i can add that soon.

Maybe optional buttons for what info one wants to fetch, only audio, only definition, etc.

Just add the fields you want to your card. Field names can be configured via config.

1 Like

Tags1 up to Tags9 and other fields require you to put Tags1, specifically 1 for all of them, or is Tags okay? Like Tags, Tags1, Tags2. Or Tags1, Tags2?

If i understand your question correctly
It’s Tags, Tags1, Tags2

To clarify let’s go with an example.

Noun
1.Japanese (language)​

Wikipedia definition
2.Japanese language​

The Add-on will fill fields like this:

PartOfSpeech = Noun
Meaning = Japanese (language)​
assumed this word had tags
Tags = {list of tags for “Japanese (language)​” seperated by comma}

PartOfSpeech1 = Wikipedia definition
Meaning1 = Japanese language​
assumed this word had tags
Tags1 = {list of tags for “Japanese language​​” seperated by comma}

Oh! I understand now.
Two issues have popped up while testing.
1 - When right clicking (not having the text selected, too) the Expression field, it sometimes deletes the input text and replaces it with something else. For example 河原 gets replaced by 原. And sometimes it removes the Expression field completely, leaving it blank but filling the fields it finds with information. This seems to happen with random words.
2 - Audio files seem to be fetched strangely. For example 河原 has fetched me 原.opus with its correct pronounciation but for the wrong expression.

My findings so far :slight_smile:

For example 河原 gets replaced by 原.

I’m not able to reproduce this
g
maybe try updating the add-on too i’ve recently changed few things.

And sometimes it removes the Expression field completely, leaving it blank but filling the fields it finds with information.

If you could give me a case to reproduce this i can try and fix it or atleast explain why this happens.

And yes it is in fact possible that expression might get overwritten because i made it so that
you either can rightclick on expression and search for english word or rightclick on meaning and search for japanese word.

Seems to have fixed itself with the update you mentioned!
Oh, that explains why the Expression field gets overridden :smiley:

So I tried installing it, yet it doesn’t seem to work? I made sure to install the older version being v2.1 as it was listed as the one compatible, as well added the fields yet when I right click there is no additional option for the auto filling of fields.

Edit: Okay found out my kinda stupid mistake, I… didn’t restart the app before trying. hahahaha… Well, at least it works

If you want all the cards for some level of the JLPT, with some extra information, I made these decks:

Thanks for creating this!! I’m dying to use it, but can’t seem to figure out how. I’m new to Anki, but I’ve been googling how to get things to work for hours on end now so I am starting to get the hang of things.

After getting this add-on (this will be my second one, the first worked fine), I cannot for the life of me seem to get your “Add” screen pop up. Mine looks completely different - a lot more simple. I tried changing the “type” of card and nothing new is available. Maybe it’s because I’m using a MacBook? It doesn’t give me the option as it does for you in your ‘expression’ field either, when I try it in my ‘front’ field.

Please help me get this add-on started :smiling_face_with_tear:

Ignore last post! I was able to get it to work.

Another question; are you also able to pull the example sentences from Jisho somehow?

This add-on is a lifesaver, thanks so much!

I was confused at first, but manually added the fields. Thanks!

Thank you, this addon is just what I needed! I’m just struggling a bit to get certain things right…

Is there a way to keep it from clearing the expression fields? It some times messes up certain cards that don’t match the prioritized jisho entries (even if the expression is listed in it as well), and then fixing all the fields is quite time consuming.

Also a bulk option would be super helpful as doing this one by one for thousands of cards is quite painful (literally). It’s alright if you’re adding them as you go, but when you’re editing old ones…ouch.

Also, is there a way I can properly retrieve the JLPT field as well? I tried adding

# field_name_jlpt
    try_set_all_field(editor.note, config['field_name_jlpt'], jlpt)

to the init file, but I’m getting this:

j, l, p, t, -, n, 5

instead of jlpt-n5

If anyone knows how to fix it I’d appreciate it!

Edit: So I figured something out temporarily. It won’t grab multiple JLPT entries but if one is enough for anyone

# Get jlptfix - Temp Version
    try:
        jlptfix = parsed_json['data'][0]['jlpt'][0]
    except (IndexError, KeyError):
        pass 

# field_name_jlptfix
    try_set_field(editor.note, config['field_name_jlptfix'], jlptfix)

For the wanikani tag:

# Get the Wanikani tag if it exists
    try:
      wanikani = parsed_json['data'][0]['tags'][0]
    except (IndexError, KeyError):
      pass 

# field_name_wanikani
    try_set_field(editor.note, config['field_name_wanikani'], wanikani)

(Don’t forget to append the correspondent entries on the config, of course, eg.

"field_name_jlptfix": "JLPT",
   "field_name_wanikani": "Wanikani"`)