Is it possible to tag just cards (not notes)?

Hi, let’s say I have this note:

Columbus was born in {{c1::Genoa}}, Italy, in {{c2::1451}}

This creates two cards:
a) Columbus was born in […], Italy, in 1457
b) Columbus was born in Genoa, Italy, in […]

I’m interested in taggin JUST the card B (for example) with the tag “Dates”, but unfortunately it seems theres’ no way to tag individual cards, just notes.

Am I right?

Thanks!

I think you need two separate (Cloze) notes.

Yes, unfortunately, I think so :frowning:

It’s a shame, because you can apply a flag on an individual card without affecting the rest of the cards from that note, but you can’t do the same with tags.

Thanks!

Notes are like cookie cutters, you make cards with them with Cloze cards. So they work differently. So any card from a note should have the same tags. If not, better to make a separate card, and that’s easy and fast with the Anki app.

2 Likes

Yes, but I use extensively cloze notes to make a bunch of cards, and to me it would be extremely useful to be able to individually tag he cards, not just the notes.

Maybe is there any plugin out there just for that?

Can you elaborate on what you want to achieve with those card tags? Maybe there is an Anki way to do it.

Thanks.
Imagine I have 100 cloze notes following this exact pattern:

-Columbus was an {{c1::explorer}}. He was born in {{c2::Genoa}}, Italy, in {{c3::1451}}. He died in {{c4::Valladolid}}, in {{c5::1504}}

-Michelangelo was an {{c1::artist}}. He was born in {{c2::Florence}},Italy, in {{c3::1475}}. He died in {{c4::Rome}}, in {{c5::1564}}

That’s 500 cards, right? Now suposse i want to focus my study just in c3, the date of birth of all characters.

I CAN do that by assigning a flag to all c3 cards, and then creating a custom deck just with that cards. The problem is there are just four different flags (red, orange, green and blue), and I need five (actually, I need more)!

But I CAN’T assign the tag date_of_birth to all c3 cards, because if you do that, all card derived from the note will be tagged as well.

1 Like

Create a filtered Deck:

Anki Searching Syntax
card:1
search for cards by template number - eg, to find the second cloze deletion for a note, you’d use card:2
note:basic
search for cards with a Basic note type

You can make complex condition like:

“deck:Test” AND “note:cloze” AND “card:3” AND “tag:test”

3 Likes

This works nicely. Thanks very much!

My decks are actually a mix of many different note types and cards, and using “card:3” to create the filtered deck wouldn’t actually work, so I’ve choosed another number instead:

-Columbus was an {{c1::explorer}}. He was born in {{c2::Genoa}}, Italy, in {{c500::1451}}. He died in {{c4::Valladolid}}, in {{c5::1504}}

Then, following your idea, I’ve just created a filtered deck with “deck:Test” AND “card:500” and it works!

Thanks again!

You don’t have to change c3 to c500, as I mentioned:

to rule out other note types and filter with whatever tag you like.

1 Like

Yes’ you’re right, the process you have described will work flaweslly with the example I gave above.

However, that was just a simple and hypothetical example that I used to explain the problem, my actual decks are more complex than that, don’t follow any pattern ,and “c3” could actually contain all kind of information. For example:

Note A
Columbus was an {{c1::explorer}}. He was born in {{c2::Genoa}}, Italy, in {{c3 ::1451}}. He died in {{c4::Valladolid}}, in {{c5::1504}}

Note B
Michelangelo was born in {{c1::1475}}. He died in {{c2::1564}}, in {{c3::Rome}}

That’s why I need to group the similar data contained on them in c500, c550, or similar, like this:

Note A
Columbus was an {{c1::explorer}}. He was born in {{c2::Genoa}}, Italy, in {{c500 ::1451}}. He died in {{c4::Valladolid}}, in {{c5::1504}}

Note B
Michelangelo was born in {{c500::1475}}. He died in {{c2::1564}}, in {{c3::Rome}}

Hope it makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might be easier for you to create different notetypes for your different uses of the Cloze model by cloning it. You can then modify these cloze notetypes independently, use a search as described by @zhushenli and don’t have to remember any number ranges.

2 Likes

I see, it seems your approach is the most efficient one.

1 Like