Incorrect buried count in Deck view with v3 scheduler

Say I have 40 review cards, 5 of them will be buried. When I go to deck view it will show a completely “random” number of buried cards, like 70. If I click “unbury” - I’ll have my 5 previously buried cards ready for review, and the “buried count” will show 0.
I’ve tested it with both v2 and v3 scheduler, and the issue is only present in the latter.

This actually becomes quite problematic, because it seems that the buried count just keeps on growing and growing from day to day until it’s emptied manually. So at one point I had like 100+ cards marked as buried, but when I unbury them manually, I got like 10 or so cards for review.

before:

after manually unburying all cards:

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something in the v3 scheduler?

Version ⁨2.1.49 (dc80804a)⁩
Python 3.8.1 Qt 5.15.1 PyQt 5.15.1

I suspect it’s an add-on to blame. Please disable them all at the end of the day, and then see if the buried count doesn’t reset to zero when you open Anki the next day.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @dae .
I tried disabling all addons - and I can still see the same issue with the buried count during learning.
The count does in fact reset to 0 the next day, but this also happens both with and without addons.

Just in case, here’s a screen with the addons I have

Anything else I can try to debug this issue?

These two statements appear to conflict?

You can search for is:buried deck:"<the deck name>" in the browse screen to reveal the buried count in the titlebar, and see which cards have been buried. That will help you check that it’s not just the add-on misreporting counts, and may give you a better idea of what’s going on.

That is true. I have not previously observed that it gets reset to 0, but it seems now that it does in fact reset the next day. So the count is incorrect only for the current day it seems.

Thanks! I did do that in fact, and there were a lot of notes there in the list. I haven’t really dug into separate notes’ info, but I’ll try to do that and see if I can figure out more details of which notes are actually included in the burried list.

So it looks like the buried count is so “unexpectedly” big because in v3 scheduler, the “Interday learning” cards are also buried (because they’re essentially considered “review cards”?). If I count both interday and review in the buried list, then things seem to be correct.
Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction @dae !

I wonder, is there any way to only bury actual cards that are in “review”, but not bury the ones that are in “learning” (interday cards)?
V3 scheduler seems very nice, but this feature of “burying interday cards that are still in learning” when the option “Bury review siblings until the next day” is enabled came as a surprise to me, and is not what I’d want to have enabled. I can see how it could be useful, but the fact that the user can’t distinguish between the “learning” and “review” when selecting what should be buried is a bit unfortunate.

We offer separate settings for new cards and reviews already, so I can’t think of a good reason not to offer an option for interday learning cards as well.