Images Not showing Up in my Anking Deck

Hello!

I am having an issue with some of the media displaying on my anki deck (I recently updated to v12 following the instructions on ankihub). Some of the images are not showing up, such as the images in the extra section or for FA, or only half of it displays (as shown in the attached images. What do I do in this case?

I have done a fully sync with ankihub and updated the anking note type to try and fix (these solutions were given to me by the anking members i asked via email using my anking platinum membership) it but nothing worked. They told me to post the problem here. I have already tried using the Ankihub forum but they said this is an issue that needs to be addressed with AnkiHub. I have tried everything on my end. Please let me know what I can do.

Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 3.51.08 PM
Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 3.51.02 PM
Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 3.51.15 PM

If Tools > Check Media reports a lot of missing files (and no unused files), maybe the missing images can’t be found in the ‘collection.media’ folder.

Create a new temporary profile (File > Switch Profiles), import the original v12 deck (and/with media), review a few cards to make sure that the images display correctly, maybe run Tools > Check Media to make sure that there’s no missing files in the imported deck and the ‘collection.media’ folder, close Anki and manually copy the ‘collection.media’ folder from the temporary profile into the main profile (by skipping any duplicates, just in case) using Finder (on Mac) or File Explorer (on Windows).

Then open Anki, switch to the main profile and maybe run Tools > Check Media again. It should report no or less missing files and v12 should display images the same way as it does in the temporary profile.

https://docs.ankiweb.net/files.html#file-locations

1 Like

thank you the for the reply! in order to do this will i have to create a new ankihub account?

No, I meant to temporarily create the 2nd profile in Anki and import the original v12 deck (and/with media), run Tools > Check Media and review a few cards with images, to make sure that the deck contains all the images and they display correctly.

If Tools > Check media in your main Anki profile reports a lot of missing files, you can try to copy the collection.media folder from the 2nd Anki profile into your main Anki profile (by skipping duplicates/without overwriting any duplicates). It should/might fix the cards with the broken image icon (not found).

While copying the collection.media folder from the 2nd profile, if your main Anki profile contains other decks, it’s better to skip overwriting duplicates to prevent accidentally overwriting different images with the same filename and instead do the following to fix images that aren’t missing but were corrupted and don’t display correctly (maybe because of some data loss due to hard disk errors), like in your screenshot where only the top half of it is visible.

At first, go to the main Anki profile, export your updated deck with scheduling but without media, go to the 2nd profile, remove the original deck and import your deck with scheduling, then run Tools > Check Media. If it reports a few missing and unused files, find them in the collection.media folder and rename them using the missing filename with the same prefix. Then run Tools > Check Media. It should report no missing files. If unused media was also reported, remove it. After that you can safely copy the collection.media folder from the 2nd profile to the main Anki profile and overwrite any duplicates. Alternatively, you can export your fixed deck with scheduling and media included from the 2nd profile, switch to the main profile, remove the deck and import the exported version from the 2nd profile.

2 Likes

ok thank you so much i will try this out. how do i import the original v12 deck into the second profile?

1. File > Switch Profile, add and open a new profile.
  2. File > Import and select the apkg file (or double-click on the apkg file).

Where can i get the apkg file of anking v12? Are you referring to the media pack on the reddit link? Because I thought the actual deck itself was straight from the website and even the media now is taken from the website the local file isn’t used anymore when importing media.

Sorry for asking so many questions I just really want to do this correctly so I can resume my normal anki experience.

I’m not a med student and not familiar with AnKing v12, but after looking it up on r/medicalschoolanki, I think, the deck can be downloaded from AnkiHub (with some media already included), other media can be downloaded from the Reddit post and imported using AnkiHub’s ‘Import Media’ function.

Please actually download the files locally and then import from local file using AnkiHub’s ‘Import Media’ function.

Ok I see, I have already asked the ankihub team if i could do this (download the media locally) and they said this. I am really lost and confused as to why this is happening.

does anyone have any solutions to this issue?

I’d go back to square one.

• Make a new profile in Anki.
  • Remove and install the AnkiHub add-on (and restart Anki).
  • Import the deck from AnkiHub.
  • If Tools > Check Media reports any missing media files, download the media archive from the Reddit post and import it using the AnkiHub add-on (or copy the files manually to the collection.media folder).
  • Run Tools > Check Media again to make sure that there’s no missing media files.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.