I lost all my decks when syncing for 1st time

I mainly used the AnkiWeb and decided to start using the app. On the 1st sync, I chose “upload to AnkiWeb” and now all my previous decks made before the sync are gone and there’s only one new card I added. There were lots of decks important to me. Please enlighten me how I can restore all the things I lost?
Please help me. :sob: Thank you very much.

Hi pgan

You have overwriten the database on ankiweb with your local (read: Anki Desktop) database which was still empty. Anki should have automatically made backups in the past so you might be able to recover your decks.

Open your Anki Desktop version, and go to

• File >> Switch Profile >> Open Backup

Follow the instructions and hopefully an automatic backup can help you restore your decks.

With kind regards
Strix

Hi Strix,
Thank you very much for your reply. I did try doing that. However, I encountered a problem. When I open the earliest backup, that version is not the version on the AnkiWeb I wanted to recover. That version is still the version after the error I made (as I have described in the original post). Are there any other ways that I can try to recover my decks? Please help me if possible. Thank you very much.
An

Hi Pgan,

Sorry to be be the bearer of bad news, but to my knowledge no this is not possible.

Maybe a more veteran user knows something I don’t but the backups are made periodically at specific times and before certain actions. If there is no more recent version, then this is the version you’ll have to continue with.

Good luck
Strix

1 Like

I’m sorry that this is happening! What a terrible first day using the app! The other responder is incorrect about a few things. Obviously you don’t have any local backups if you just started using the app.

There may be a server side backup available, especially if you’ve been using your AnkiWeb account actively. @dae will be able to check for that the next time he’s online. He will let you know if one is available and confirm if you want him to restore that on AnkiWeb. It won’t necessarily be from the last day or 2, but it sounds like that might be your only option, if you’ve never synced with any other devices.

2 Likes

Please don’t feel like you need to respond about things you don’t know about. While you are generally correct about local automatic backups, that clearly isn’t a solution for someone who has never used a local app before.

I’ve restored your collection to a backup. When you next sync, please choose Download.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your help. I’m very grateful to you. I hope all the best things come your way.

3 Likes