I accidentally Synchronized to AnkiDroid instead of AnkiWeb, losing my collection

I lost my primary phone couple of days ago.
When I downloaded the AnkiDroid on the new phone, I accidentally choose to keep the AnkiDroid collection instead of AnkiWeeb, which has all my shared decks.

Can I recover it? Or is it lost for ever?

I’m so sorry that happened!

• Did you sync your collection with any other devices (computer, laptop, tablet, etc.)?
  • Even though you lost your phone, was the data from it backed up to any other cloud storage?

If not, there’s still a chance @dae can recover a recent server-side backup. If he can, he’ll respond to let you know when it is from and have you confirm that you want him to go ahead.

2 Likes

I did sync my collection to my account that I have with AnkiWeb.
The last sync was few weeks old, but still, better than nothing.

So, what should I do now?

If there’s no where else to look, you’ll just have to sit tight until he’s online later.

Understandable. Thank you for assisting me.

1 Like

Hey

It has been hours since last reply.

Will @dae assist me in retrieving my collection, or is it lost?

Thank you

He will respond when he can, I’m sure. You’ve pinged him again now, but we don’t need to keep doing that.

4 Likes

I have restored your AnkiWeb collection from a backup.

4 Likes

I apologize for the disturbance that I might have caused with my last reply. I absolutely didn’t mean to do that.

I just thought, for some reason, he forgot to perform the retrieval.

Thank you for assisting me, I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Dae!

I am sorry for pinging you again. My mind was simply racing with itself after the wrong synchronization that I made.

Thank you again!

2 Likes

I’m afraid as the backup was quite old, it no longer contained media. If you don’t have the media stored on one of your local devices, unfortunately there will be no way to recover it.

1 Like

Understandable.

Is there a way I could fix it? For example, Synchronizing my shared decks with the original decks?

Or i have to delete the decks, and re-download it?

Definitely don’t delete your decks!

Yes, if the media was all from pre-made decks, you can get it back pretty easily by reimporting the decks to your profile. That does run the chance (especially if you’re downloading fresh copies of the apkgs, and not using the original ones you imported) of overwriting updates you’ve made to the deck, or of failing to merge and just duplicating the notes/cards.

Since all you really need is the collection.media folder, you can also import the deck into a new (temporary) profile. Then go to your Anki2 data directory and copy the contents of that profile’s collection.media into your main profile’s collection.media. When you open Anki again, run a Check Media to make sure the files are there and recognized. This should work great as long as none of the filenames have changed.

1 Like

Edit: Not sure why this is flagged as spam, as it’s how I managed to recover my own deck?

If you are an ankidroid user, you should be able to recover via a backup on Ankidroid. Try to recover from yesterday’s. You will lose today’s progress but that’s all. Pick the “restore from backup” option on setting

s.

That’s great.

Could you explain a bit more in detail the steps needed?
The name of one of the shared decks got changed by its creator. Does that means it is not possible to sync the audios?

Thank you for you assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.