How to see, and edit, the order that new cards will be presented?

I’m trying to see the order that new cards will be presented in, and modify the order to focus on higher priority words. I’ve looked in the Anki Guide and searched YouTube and Google. Everything says to look at the “Due” field on the browser, which should be listed as New #1, New #2, etc. On my browser, the “Due” field is blank for nearly all new cards. I tried selecting some and selected “Reposition”, but the “Due” field remains blank. I am running Desktop v 2.1.60. I tried enabling the V3 Scheduler, but it doesn’t seem to help.

According to my tests, the due column is normally only empty for learning cards. Try searching for is:learn in the browser. It should not be empty for new cards. Did you rule out add-ons? When problems occur - Frequently Asked Questions

If that doesn’t help, can you share a sample deck?

My trick when I’ve been building my own decks is to include an extra field called “Sort field” and put it as the first field of the note.

By default, Anki will sort the notes according to their first field. So in that field, you can put something numeric or hierarchical, such as “Chapter 03 Lesson 002”, and the notes will sort themselves.

Then when you make the model for the cards from those notes, don’t reference {{Sort field}} if you don’t want it to show up on the cards.

None of this helps, so far. I have 3336 New cards, 11 of them are Suspended. Most New cards show the Due column blank in the browser except for those that I have done 1 or more reviews of, which show a date there.

I don’t have any add-ons. I had already rebooted my computer and restarted Anki before I posted in the forum. I ran a database check and got the following message.
Anki2

Your FAQ document mentions possibly needing to change the graphics driver. I am wondering if that is my problem. But I don’t know how to do that. I’m not a developer or a techie. I have no clue how to “start cmd.exe” or even where I would find it.

I could share a sample deck, but I don’t know how to do that either. I’m new to Anki. I don’t see anything in the Anki Manual that explains how to do that. Where would I find instructions?

After playing around with Anki some more, I notice that the Due column is filled in for cards when the Browser is in Cards mode, but not in Notes mode. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Ah yes, apparently the due column in Notes mode behave according to the following comment I found in the code:

1 Like

Interesting. Not particularly intuitive. And that’s not how I understand what’s written in the Manual.
But thanks for your help. It got me reading through other sections of the Manual. I think I have what I need.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.