How to make it always default to cloze deletion type of card when creating new cards

Ever since I upgraded from 2.1.39 to 2.1.49, I have to manually select cloze deletion instead of it normally being the “default” card type when I wanted to add new cards.

I found out that Anki automatically changes the card type based on the type of the last card created, but this never happened before the upgrade. For example, even if I created multiple image occlusion cards at once, the new card “template” would still be set as cloze (which is what I prefer).

After the upgrade, this isn’t the case and I have to manually select cloze every time I make a diff type of card. It is a minor issue, but really annoying.

The Release Notes for versions 2.1.40 to 2.1.49 mention some changes to “cloze”. But I don’t see any change relating to card types.

In fact, I don’t recall ever seeing the word “default” when referring to card types.

The Release Notes are here:

Changes in 2.1.40 to 49 - Changes (ankiweb.net)

You can see the meticulous level of detail in these notes. I’m sure they would document a major change such as you are reporting.

Thanks

Anki is just being more consistent about remembering the last notetype when notes are added now. What you’re requesting is that the add-on add notes then change the notetype back to what it was previously. That will require extra work by the add-on author, so you’ll need to make your case to them.

This was probably changed in this commit: Simplify note adding and the deck/notetype choosers · ankitects/anki@ce243c2 · GitHub