Cloze deletion can only be used on cloze notetypes

Hello All,

I’ve recently been running into an issue where I am unable to add new cards to Anki. Trying to results in the error “Cloze deletion can only be used on cloze notetypes.”. Also, the cards I had already created, when I go in to edit them, show the same error. The cards still work, so I’m not really sure what the issue is. Attached screenshots of my setup here, any insights anyone has would be much appreciated.I am running Anki Version ⁨2.1.49 (dc80804a)⁩ on Mac

I guess the issue here is that you added the cloze filter to a normal note type not derived from the Cloze type.
Cloze types are treated specially by Anki and you should only make new cloze types by cloning the existing type.
Anki started to be more strict about such issues recently.

I don’t think they will work properly with multiple clozes (Try that).

You should be able to fix the issue by making a new cloze type cloned from the base Cloze type from the note types screen, then you can copy the template contents from the old type to the new one and convert your notes to use it.

2 Likes

I looked over the Cloze note type, but it doesn’t look like there is anything special about it other than it wraps a field named “Text” in {{cloze:}}. Not sure there is actual inheritance going on here for cards, but if I’m mistaken I would definitely be interested in knowing how to change the parent note type.

Cards definitely work. Pasting some more images. I created three card templates that can be ported from one to the other as needed (Verb Present → Verb Present + Perfect → Verb Present + Perfect + Past). This lets me generate multiple cards from one intake form.

I can’t just wrap the entire card in a {{close:}} because close has to reference a field, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to nest multiple fields inside of another (I.E. collate all intake fields into one cloze field). If there is a better way to structure this that will give the same results, I am definitely open to hearing it, but this is the only way I had found to have one intake that spits out multiple cards and supports cloze. Very sad to see this feature (handy error?) deprecated, especially when it has worked so well.

After a cup of coffee, I have seen the error of my ways. Thank you for your help @abdo - I think your right, this is a misuses of {{cloze}}, I am using it to style an output, when I could just style the output

1 Like

Types derived from the Cloze type inherits a special cloze “bit” associated with them that can only be set by deriving from Cloze.

1 Like