Google Dictionary [Official Support]

Dear Roozbeh,

Thank you for your time and care, thoroughness, conscientiousness, and willingness to help us and to continue to improve this add-on! You’re the best :smiley:
I’m very excited to see the next version!
I just realized that there is one must-have feature for this add-on, as it does not yet have a batch capability: Keyboard Shortcuts!
Something exactly like the AutoDefine add-on’s keyboard shortcut capability and customization would be perfect.
Another key feature of AutoDefine is that you do not need to have a field selected in order to use the add-on.
This allows you to quickly define a list of cards in the browser, simply by repeating two keyboard shortcuts: the keyboard shortcut for AutoDefine and the down arrow to move to the next word in the browser.
Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like. As you can see, the field is not selected but you can still use the add-on and it has a keyboard shortcut (which is customizable in the config).

I really hope I sent this in time to get included in the coming version since it is such a useful key feature! Thank you again for all your help!

Regards,
Jord

Attention for current Google Dictionary add-on users:
The new version (4.0.0) will be released soon. If you face old+new merged config problem, click the “Restore Defaults” button at the buttom of config page to remove the old settings and just keep the new ones. You can then do your own customization.

1 Like

Hello Jord,
Thanks for your good suggestions!

Keyboard shortcuts are added in v4.0.0.
Alt+P, Alt+1, Alt+A and Alt+T are set as shortcuts to Add Pronunciation, 1st Definition, All Definitions and Translation respectively.

Roozbeh

1 Like

Hello gnomek and Jord,
Release 4.0.0 is issued and the above conclusions are included in that. I’d be grateful if you start using the updated version and tell me if you face any bugs or problems.

Thanks,

Roozbeh

1 Like

Hello Jan,
Your suggestion is implemented in v4.0.0.
You can set “0704-Translation title” to blank ("") and there would be no title.

Regards,

Roozbeh

Dear Roozbeh,

You’re amazing! I just installed the new version and configured my settings and the definitions look incredible now. You’ve done an wonderful job! The increased customizability just took this add-on to a much higher level! Well done.

After testing this add-on, I’ve discovered that regardless of which field you have selected when you press the button, it will always define the word in the first field, which is good and totally works for me. However, if this is the case, why is it necessary to select a field at all? It would be much better if you didn’t have to select any field and could still use the shortcut/button. This is exactly how the AutoDefine shortcut works. Is it possible to add this feature? Here is a picture:

As you can see, none of the fields are selected, but the AutoDefine shortcut is still clickable/usable. However, the Google Dictionary add-on is not.

Thanks again for all your great work!

Cheers,
Jord

Hello Jord,
Thanks for using the update and spending time on the review, and for your warm encouragement as ever!

I will update the usage video and hopefully, it can give a better view of the new changes. But below are some points summarized:

1. If you mainly use the All Definitions button (or Alt+A), as you noticed, all the elements (phonetic, part of speech, definition, example, synonyms and antonyms) are added in one field only, but you can choose this field number through “0601-All Definitions field number”. Single element field numbers such as “0611-All Definitions phonetic field number”, “0621-All Definitions part of speech field number”, … are all overridden by “0601-All Definitions field number” unless they are set to “0” that means the absence of that element in the result. This is explained in the config guide (on the right side of the config window) and is set in such a way for compatibility with the “1st Definition” function.

2. If you use 1st Definition (or Alt+1), then single field numbers (“0501-1st Definition phonetic field number”, “0511-1st Definition part of speech field number”, … ) work individually, and if set to different values, will result in elements appearing in different fields. Again as above “0” means the absence of that element. The user should create the fields before using them in the config, otherwise will result in an error.

This distinction is following our previous discussion that All Definitions and 1st Definition should be treated differently (see the post Google Dictionary [Official Support] - #21 by roozbeh79).

I also changed the way the Add Pronunciation works; already it added the pronunciations at the cursor location but now they will be added in the field number specified by “0301-Pronunciation field number” for compatibility with the rest.

Since you don’t need to restart Anki after config changes since v3.1.0, you can try different settings more quickly and set the best that suits your purpose.

Please consider these facts and then kindly let me know your opinion about the new version.

Thanks,

Roozbeh

Hi Roozbeh,

I think I spotted a major bug in the new version. If this add-on is enabled, when I go to review cards and also when I preview cards, the card is not being displayed at all. Here’s a picture of how it looks:

As you can see, nothing is there, and this is not for just one card but all cards. When I disable the add-on, it works as normal again. I tested this in isolation, with all other add-ons disabled as well.

I hope you can easily figure out what is causing this issue. Thank you!

Also, for the previous feature I asked about, I’m not sure I understand your response. Is already a way to use the add-on buttons without first clicking in a field? Or is this a feature you are willing to add?

One last thing - when I click the “All” button, it is not generating a pronunciation. It works if i click on the pronunciation button separately, but I thought the All feature should include the pronunciation as well? I have these settings in the config:
“0301-Pronunciation field number”: “1”,
“0302-Add US pronunciation?”: “Yes”,

Thanks for all your hard work! I hope my feedback is helpful.

Sincerely,
Jord

Hello Jord,
The empty card looks strange and I have no clue what the problem can be. Wish I could get feedback from other users as well.
To start, can you please tell me which operating system, Anki version and other add-ons you are using? Maybe I can simulate your working environment on my PC.

About the next two questions:

• You don’t need to click in the field. The add-on is supposed to add the definition in the specified field in config regardless of where the cursor is now. If it’s not working so, it’s a bug; so please try and let me know.
  • The All button is All Definitions and is not supposed to add pronunciation and translation. For them, you need to click the allocated buttons or use the keyboard shortcuts. The definition is composed of phonetic, part of speech, meaning, example, synonyms and antonyms but not pronunciation and translation.

Regards,

Roozbeh

Hi Roozbeh,

I sent you a DM.

Regards,
Jord

Hello
Foremost, I 'd like to thank you for this magnificent effort.
I have 2 problems, first, the pronunciation button doesn’t work at all.
second, when I press the all translation button, I always get only the first meaning not all meaning and I use the translate button I get also the first translation not all. please help.
Thanks

Hello Muhammad,
Thanks for using the add-on and giving the feedback.
About the problems you have faced:

1. Pronunciation:
  • Make sure you have restarted Anki once after the add-on installation
  • Try with a different word
  • Click in front of the word entry and then click on the pronunciation button
  • If none works, please send me your Anki version, operating system and a snapshot or screen record of the entry before and after pressing the pronunciation button.
  1. There is no “All Translation” option in this add-on. It only gives the first translation when you press the T (translation) button. The reason is that this add-on uses the library googletrans · PyPI that is originally written for sentence translation and not single words only.
    The two other buttons (1st and All) give the 1st and all definition(s) respectively in English and not a target language as the Translation button does. With these assumptions, if you continue having problems, please let me know.

Thanks and have a good day,

Roozbeh

First of all, congratulations on the add-on and thank you for your hard work on it. That said, I’ve been having an issue with the “All Definitions” button.

Whenever I use the “All Definitions” button, even though I’ve set the “All Definitions example field number” to number 6 (“0641-All Definitions example field number”: “6”), the example sentence keeps going into the “All Definitions field number”, that has been set to 2 (“0601-All Definitions field number”: “2”). However, that’s been happening only with the “All Definition” button, not with the “1st Definition” button, despite of assigning the same values of “All Definitions” to the “1st Definition”: “0531-1st Definition example field number”: “6” and “0521-1st Definition definition field number”: “2”.

"1st Definition" button"
UjakSA5dNV
As you can see, the example sentence “these marvellous technological toys are fun to play with” doesn’t appear in the second field. It got put into the sixth field, which is not shown in the gif, as it was expected to happen.

"All Definitions" button
xPB4Oos3EZ
As you can see, the example sentence “these marvellous technological toys are fun to play with” does appear in the second field. It didn’t get put into the sixth field, which is not shown in the gif, as it was expected to happen.

My Config
{
    "0101-User-Agent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:94.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/94.0",
    "0201-Display 'Add Pronunciation' button?": "Yes",
    "0202-Display 'Add 1st Definition' button?": "Yes",
    "0203-Display 'Add All Definitions' button?": "Yes",
    "0204-Display 'Add Translation' button?": "Yes",
    "0205-Add labels to play buttons?": "Yes",
    "0301-Pronunciation field number": "1",
    "0302-Add US pronunciation?": "No",
    "0303-Add GB pronunciation?": "No",
    "0304-US or GB pronunciation first?": "US",
    "0305-Keep pronunciation duplicates?": "No",
    "0401-Not overwrite separator": "<br><br>-----------------------------<br><br>",
    "0402-Not overwrite separator color": "grey",
    "0403-Titles color": "orange",
    "0404-Synonyms and antonyms separator": ", ",
    "0405-Overwrite 1st Definition?": "No",
    "0406-Overwrite All Definitions?": "No",
    "0501-1st Definition phonetic field number": "0",
    "0502-1st Definition phonetic title": "",
    "0503-1st Definition phonetic color": "white",
    "0511-1st Definition part of speech field number": "2",
    "0512-1st Definition part of speech title": "",
    "0513-1st Definition part of speech color": "lightblue",
    "0521-1st Definition definition field number": "2",
    "0522-1st Definition definition title": "",
    "0523-1st Definition definition color": "white",
    "0531-1st Definition example field number": "6",
    "0532-1st Definition example title": "",
    "0533-1st Definition example color": "white",
    "0541-1st Definition synonyms field number": "2",
    "0542-1st Definition synonyms title": "Similar: ",
    "0543-1st Definition synonyms color": "green",
    "0551-1st Definition antonyms field number": "2",
    "0552-1st Definition antonyms title": "Opposite: ",
    "0553-1st Definition antonyms color": "red",
    "0601-All Definitions field number": "2",
    "0611-All Definitions phonetic field number": "0",
    "0612-All Definitions phonetic title": "",
    "0613-All Definitions phonetic color": "white",
    "0621-All Definitions part of speech field number": "2",
    "0622-All Definitions part of speech title": "",
    "0623-All Definitions part of speech color": "lightblue",
    "0631-All Definitions definition field number": "2",
    "0632-All Definitions definition title": "",
    "0633-All Definitions definition color": "white",
    "0641-All Definitions example field number": "6",
    "0642-All Definitions example title": "",
    "0643-All Definitions example color": "white",
    "0651-All Definitions synonyms field number": "2",
    "0652-All Definitions synonyms title": "Similar: ",
    "0653-All Definitions synonyms color": "green",
    "0661-All Definitions antonyms field number": "2",
    "0662-All Definitions antonyms title": "Opposite: ",
    "0663-All Definitions antonyms color": "red",
    "0701-Translation field number": "2",
    "0702-Translation target language": "fr",
    "0703-Add language name to translation title?": "Yes",
    "0704-Translation title": ": ",
    "0705-Translation color": "black",
    "0706-Add transliteration to translation?": "Yes",
    "0707-Transliteration color": "white",
    "0708-Overwrite translation?": "No"
}

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Hello Casartelli,
Thanks for your message and for using the tool. The behaviour you mentioned is intentionally set in the tool; you can refer to Google Dictionary [Official Support] - #28 by roozbeh79 to find about the discussions history and the reasons behind that. Considering it, I would be happy to hear your suggestions to make the tool more useful and fit for your needs.

Regards,

Roozbeh

I want to add definition for some words at once please add this function

Hello Xom,
Thanks for using the add-on.
I’m working on this feature. Hopefully it will be added in the next update.

Regards,

Roozbeh

I really appreciate that thanks so much it is so important for me I spend more than 4 hours today only to add 100 notes
Thank You so much :blush::heart:

Hello Xom,
I just updated to version 5.0.0 and added the batch edit capability.
You can access it using the Anki “browser” window, right-clicking on your selected entries and using one of the “Google Dictionary” submenus.
Artificial waiting times are added to the pronunciation part to avoid flooding the servers with lots of sudden requests, so please be patient when using this function :slightly_smiling_face:.

Roozbeh

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
:white_heart::white_heart::yellow_heart::white_heart::white_heart:
:green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:
thank you so much

A new guideline is uploaded covering v5.x.x. It’s available in:

and also through the add-on main page:
Google Dictionary - AnkiWeb