For Chromebook (CB) users, i suggest reading this post to install anki in linux instead

hi,
i got a lenovo duet 2020,
afair, ankidroid do work when CrOS is using container technology.
Currently every CrOS is in VM virtual machine technology.
I have installed several ankidroid from play store, F-droid, github etc.
All halt when i simply tap into settings and wanna scroll.
It didn’t scroll, it sucks.

previously i asked that it’s xxxking hard to install anki on arm linux,
as some libraries are NA blablabla.

i just read a post claim to do it,
and some users replied that they can do it,
so i post here FYI.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/14sblet/installing_anki_on_chromebook_linux_2023_updated/

however since i moved to heavily use image occlusion,
my CB dont have tf slot while my phone AND wintab have,
so this is a late solution for me which i dont need now.

enjoy.

@dae could the category be Linux and Chromebook?

The majority of Chromebook users are unaware that they are running Linux, which means they are unable to find the right way to install and use ankidroid instead.

If we are going with this idea, we should include chromebook terms alongside Debian

if your cpu is ARM then your chromebook is incompatible with pc anki…

It is possible, but requires knowledge on python wheels, instructions can be found here

Another reason for an ARM build that don’t relies on python, the instructions can be easy for a user that handles the terminal, but it can be frustrating for non-tech users

Having a build would enable an up to date flatpak build which, although it is unofficial, it is easier to set it up for chromebooks

I’m not particularly keen to advertise Chromebook support. I have no experience with them, ARM64 support is problematic, and the typical Chromebook user is presumably going to struggle with shell commands.

With respect,
just some facts i wanna bring out:

1. CBs are the most popular platform in US in the edu system:
    (ps i am not in US)
    https://www.zdnet.com/a/img/resize/792d6be45be9a240575de7c46566d067f152e42b/2018/03/06/a424254b-2ec5-4ceb-b342-69257e3cfd66/futuresourceq4education.jpg?auto=webp&width=1280

1. Linus himself suggest that CB helps to blend in. CB s linux are more standardized vs (ubuntu vs mint vs ArchOS vs else). So CB would be a good start for ppl to learn linux.
1 Like

okay, even thru i dont need anki on CB,
i’ll try to check if it still runs.

i wish i have seen this post before as someone have posted a USD500 post to make anki run on arm linux?

I’m not particularly keen to advertise Chromebook support. I have no experience with them…, and the typical Chromebook user is presumably going to struggle with shell commands

An arm build could make it possible to recommend flatpak for CB, as they should behave the same as any Linux distribution.

Over One Million Active Users, and Growing | Flathub Documentation

ARM64 support is problematic

Arm support may pose a challenge, however, it is worth considering as we are scheduled to experience a new arm surge in the coming months.

• The Snapdragon X Elite, released in 2023, will be found in
    laptops in 2024.

• Microsoft is expected to debut new Surface laptops with this new generation of Qualcomm chips in March
  • Nvidia and AMD have said they will make arms in 2025.

• Microsoft is working with arm chips and is improving support for Windows 12 support.

Sources:

if your cpu is ARM then your chromebook is incompatible with pc anki…

It is possible, but requires knowledge on python wheels, instructions can be found here

Another reason for an ARM build that don’t relies on python, the instructions can be easy for a user that handles the terminal, but it can be frustrating for non-tech users

I’m not completely sure I agree. Having spent an inordinate amount of time working on getting Anki to build on ARM linux (and also attempting to get binary bundles working), I think “incompatible” is for all intents and purposes perfectly accurate.

While I’m certainly no genius, Anecdotally, I would definitely not say the instructions are generally easy for anyone who knows the terminal. I would like to claim I’m at least somewhat technical, but who knows. :woman_shrugging:

the link in my #1 post claims it could be done.
i’ll try later.
i fwd here becoz some users there claim they could.
so it could be a solution.

ps, as i told my CB dont have TF slot,
but my samsung a33-5g have.
i use “LAN-drive” app to make my phone act as NAS,
it could share out something as \a33-5g\InternalStorage\xxx

not sure if the CB’s linux’s anki desktop could use that for media…

let’s see.

thanks

hi
the link in #1 worked,
i could install 23.12.1 in my lenovo duet CB 2020 /w latest CrOS.

ps: looks like the files are under /home/USER/.local/share/Anki2

looks like i can use NAS or removable tf for this, so i can use my large media collection on CB too.

update 240201T
looks like works well
the old lenovo duet CB 2020,
installed /w anki 2.1.54 qt6
I didn’t sync the media by anki,
i removed the collection.media,
then ln -s the USB into it’s place.
now i just need to buy a smallest USB flash,
then i can use my large collection media /w my CB.

should have tried before.

For most Chrome cases, using the web page interface is the only usable solution. One reason I got a used Chromebook, used it for a week, and sent it for recycling.

Just a suggestion: other Chromebook users may not be familiar with this “CB” initialism that you’re using. Perhaps it is better to spell it out so people can find stuff that’s relevant to them, at least in the thread title.

2 Likes

For CB, linux desktop anki is >>> ankidroid

that’s because of the better interaction with HARDWARE keyboard+touchpad, and the ADDONs, as well as I could EDIT/MODIFY exactly as in windows desktop anki.

Linux is not easy to handle!

today i just upgraded the CrOS and the linux environment,
then the 2.1.54-qt6 didn’t run again!

and i tried several days, and it still dont run!
i even asked gpt4 for many several solutions!

help! thanks:

error msg after i type anki:

(my_pyqt_env) xxxx@penguin:~/0-linux-root/anki-2.1.54-linux-qt6$ anki
Running with temporary Qt5 compatibility shims.
Run with DISABLE_QT5_COMPAT=1 to confirm compatibility with Qt6.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/xxxx/.local/bin/anki”, line 5, in
from aqt import run
File “/home/xxxx/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aqt/init.py”, line 45, in
from aqt import gui_hooks
File “/home/xxxx/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aqt/gui_hooks.py”, line 11, in
from aqt.hooks_gen import *
File “/home/xxxx/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aqt/hooks_gen.py”, line 18, in
from aqt.qt import QDialog, QEvent, QMenu, QModelIndex, QWidget, QMimeData
File “/home/xxxx/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aqt/qt/init.py”, line 20, in
from . import qt5_compat # needs to be imported first
File “/home/xxxx/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aqt/qt/qt5_compat.py”, line 15, in
import PyQt6.QtCore
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘PyQt6.sip’
(my_pyqt_env) xxxx@penguin:~/0-linux-root/anki-2.1.54-linux-qt6$

About ArchiveOS

The old systems should not be used for daily usage on production workstations, but can be used for education purpose.

The last version (CrOS)| Released: 2.4.1290 | December 9, 2012

I love how Linux let you use any system you want, but make sure everything is still being updated (will require changing your base update to latest OpenSUSE leap or tumbleweed)

Check this issue

[Windows]ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt6.sip' · Issue #7122 · pyinstaller/pyinstaller · GitHub

I tryed pip uninstall pyqt6-sip and pip install pyqt6-sip,and It’s fixed !!!

Your CB can run on LMDE, Fedora, OpenSUSE which are popular maintained distros

maverick: no idea what it is.

doesnot work:

too complex, i dont even know am i using what venv.

this CB will now just a toy for me,
i’ll have to switch to back to wintab, luckily i got 3 wintab.
thanks

error: externally-managed-environment

× This environment is externally managed
╰─> To install Python packages system-wide, try apt install
python3-xyz, where xyz is the package you are trying to
install.

If you wish to install a non-Debian-packaged Python package,
create a virtual environment using python3 -m venv path/to/venv.
Then use path/to/venv/bin/python and path/to/venv/bin/pip. Make
sure you have python3-full installed.

If you wish to install a non-Debian packaged Python application,
it may be easiest to use pipx install xyz, which will manage a
virtual environment for you. Make sure you have pipx installed.

See /usr/share/doc/python3.11/README.venv for more information.

note: If you believe this is a mistake, please contact your Python installation or OS distribution provider. You can override this, at the risk of breaking your Python installation or OS, by passing --break-system-packages.
hint: See PEP 668 for the detailed specification.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.