Filtered deck from filtered deck? Or filtered deck with random review order?

I have a filtered deck that pulls given numbers of cards from two normal decks by due date. This works as expected.

However, the cards are ordered by due date in the filtered deck, too. After I pulled the desired cards out of their original decks, I want to randomize their review order in the filtered deck. My first question is whether this is possible – I couldn’t find a way to do this.

Since I couldn’t find a way to do this, I tried to set up a second filtered deck that would pull its cards from my first filtered deck, this time using “random” as the order. But Anki doesn’t seem to allow me to create a filtered deck from a filtered deck. Is this correct? Or is there a way?

Is there a way to do what I want – which is a filtered deck where the review order of the filtered deck is different from the extraction order from the original source decks?

Thanks,
Gerhard

You can accomplish this by creating an empty, normal deck, and putting the filtered deck inside it. If you click on the empty deck to study, review will use its configured order.

1 Like

Thank you for your response! I tried to do that, but still get the same error. Maybe I didn’t understand what you meant.

My first filtered deck is called StudyFiltered. I created an empty deck called StudyRandom. Then I tried to create a filtered deck StudyRandom::Inner like this:

This is how I understood your advice. But I still get this error when I try to build it:

Am I doing something wrong?

I think I got what you meant now. I put my StudyFiltered filtered deck inside an empty, normal deck and changed the review order of the empty, normal deck to “random”. I’ll try this and see how it wors out. Is this it?

Thanks again!

1 Like

Yes, that’s it.

Thanks, this works!

Your tip also prompted me to understand hierarchical decks better. I didn’t even know they existed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.