Errors when Importing A Deck with Duplicate Cards

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much in advance for your time and help! I have an anki deck, let’s call it “Deck 1”, in .apkg format with subdecks that I am trying to import. The problem is, when I tried to import it, lots of the cards were not imported because they were duplicates of cards I already had in other decks (error message: “notes skipped, as up to date cards already in your collection.”)

To get around this, I did lots of online research and tried the following:

1. I made a second user profile and imported Deck 1 in .apkg format. This was successful as the entire deck was imported with associated subdecks in working order.
  2. I exported each subdeck within Deck 1 separately as “cards in plain text (.txt)” and saved it to my computer.
  3. I switched back to my original user profile and created an empty main deck with subdecks that matched those of Deck 1.
  4. I imported each .txt subdeck file into it’s respective empty subdeck as described in step 3, and preserved duplicates as part of the import settings.

By doing this, I was able to successfully import all of the cards from Deck 1 even though they were duplicates of other decks I have. I was also able to keep them in their proper subdeck.

HOWEVER, when I attempted to use the decks, every single card had this error message – “No cloze 1 found on card. Please either add a cloze deletion, or use the Empty Cards tool”.

When looking at the card details using the browse mode, I think the issue is that somewhere in this process, the clozes’ (which were previously something like {{cloze: the arm}}, etc.) have been replaced with “[…]”. Or maybe the issue is something else?

Please help!!! The only thing I am trying to do is import this deck while preserving it’s subdecks and keeping all duplicates and have the cards in working order. But I am running into errors! How do I get around this? TYSM! :slight_smile:

Please make sure that the notetype you had selecting when importing is the same one that the original cards were using - you can click on Cards… in the editor and check the title to see the notetype name.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.