Create type fields over images

Hi,

I have images that each of them has some small pictures on them (like the below example), I’d like to create fields over the names of items and give answers by “type” inside them. I create some boxes over the names of items in the below example as fields to show you what I want. Is it possible to create customized (different sizes) type fields and put them in different names (words) of an image, then type correct names inside them?
Image Occlusion Enhanced add-on is a great add-on that is able to create boxes (shapes) over words, by the cover / uncover we can guess the correct answer. I need something like that, but live field boxes that give me permission to type inside it, not simple boxes.

1 Like

Maybe, instead of having a single, big image, you could split it up. You could have one note for each saw, and having a type-in field with the name of the saw.

This would require a little more work, as you would have to manually split the original image into pieces, but nothing terrible.

4 Likes

Splitting up to many small separate pictures takes much time while I have lots of these pictures and a boring job, but maybe it’s the final option for me. If no add-ons can manage it, I prefer to use Image Occlusion Enhanced add-on and apply shapes/boxes to cover my words in the big picture.

Maybe you need to find out a way to split them up efficiently. Think about it: when you are splitting up an image, you are just providing the information of which rectangle to be cut out, the rest can be automated. When you are manually covering the text areas, you are also manually indicating a rectangle of an image, so, theoretically, these two operations should take the same time.

Maybe setting up the right workflow might need some time, but if you have a lot of images it might be worth trying. Or not, it depends on what are your needs.

1 Like

Not sure about the time, maybe you are right and both take the same time, In this way, I can have a “live field” to type inside them only for a small item/picture, so I can’t have all similar items (like different “saw tools” in my example) to see all kind of things in the first view in a big picture and give the answer in each field. But it’s a good idea and I thought about it before asking my question, but when it comes to a huge number picture that each of them has some small items, can be horrible!
I’d like to see an add-on create live fields over a picture that include small pictures with great features soon.

First of all; I would not mind at all having this type-in-the blank function intrinsically built into the image-occlusion add-on, but I think there’s problems with that because as when you type actual characters the “type-in-answer” card type actually corrects you and lets you know what letters you’ve missed, while if this were to be the case in the image occlusion add-on, there would have to be some optical character recognition etc. I reckon. I mean with an IO-card how would you compare what you typed with what is correct?

So the way I’d do it would rather be to create numbers for the saws, like 1-10 or whatever, as an image, and then you just use the regular “type-in-answer”-note type to type in what 1-10 are, I reckon you are using fill in the blank questions instead of regular IO just because you want to practise getting the right spelling too? Since this way you may also get feedback on spelling because the note actually contains the characters and not just an image.

Edit: what live fields are you talking about? Care to share the styling code?

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

I’m not talking about OCR function and this ability in Anki’s or in image-occlusion add-on when I mentioned the live field, just the regular “type-in-answer” field that is native in Anki is enough for me. The scenario is simple: I type the correct terms and words for each item for its field and Anki learns the correct spelling, if I misspelled and type the wrong letters, Anki finds out and highlights it in the red-color background or color wrong letter and I try again. Maybe need an option or a button to reveal the correct answer next to its field or show the correct answer immediately (can be customized in different ways as users desired how to behave those fields).

Does the image-occlusion add-on can handle it? maybe; and I don’t know.

Yes, spelling practice is necessary for me to memorize the correct form of each new term or word, and type-in-answer note is great and fulfills my need for this, but they are separate notes and cards, while I wish all items (like different saws in my case show in one big picture with type-in-answer fields below of every item that locate in different areas in a big picture) than to see and fill items one by one.

Are you really sure this is more efficient for learning? Maybe you’ll learn faster the names if you also see all other saws in the image, but when you are going to apply your knowledge ie. trying to spell a saw name when given a saw, you’re likely not going to have all other saw types, so maybe it is wiser to really only have a single saw for each card.

If you struggle more during learning with a single saw on each card, it’s a sign that you would also be struggling to name a saw in real life if you only learnt to do that on a picture where all saws were shown. This is because, for instance, if there are two similar saws, you might start learning to differentiate them not by looking at small details that make them different, but by their position in the image, for example. That might trick you into thinking you know how to tell them apart, when in reality if you were presented one of the two saws, you would have doubts about which one it is.

This is pretty much an argument against big cloze-deletions in general: if you provide too much context besides what you want to learn, you might start relying too much on the context, and would be clueless if you would not have that context. I don’t know how much it applies to your specific use-case, but I have experienced this kind of issues more than once, and the solution was always to isolate the different parts I wanted to learn in several independent cards.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure, just guessing and curious to try it, but also I like the single card method and it’s useful and I use it for new words, idioms, and terms that I’ve learned. It’s the first time I’m going to insert and use pictures for cards, so I’m doubtful which methods are better. Your idea and experience about forgetting or confusing with the same items are making me think about it and remember it.

Thank you!

My suggestion is to use Image Occlusion Enhanced, but add a field called “EnterSpaceForTyping” then do just that: enter a space into that field. Then in the front and back templates add {{type:EnterSpaceForTyping}}. You can type in any answer you want and are not bothered by spelling checkers or by the garish typing error colours on the back.

1 Like