Cards with Emojis in Excel or UTF-8 Format

Is there a way I can transfer emojis into a .txt file which will also Encode into UTF-8? I have an Excel sheet programmed to my learning style that creates cards. I format it into a .txt and then into a UTF-8 so the “Headers” can import the cards into preset decks in Anki. The issue is “notepad” does recognize the emojis and puts “???” in their place (see screenshot).

Headers:
https://docs.ankiweb.net/importing.html#file-headers

I know the .csv format can upload upload emojis and add tags but I’ve only been able to figure out how to upload to a single deck. I need a bit more flexibility and control as the cards are going in as the semester slams me in the face. Would LibreOffice be able to use the header commands and upload the emojis?

Maybe you’ll have more luck with LibreOffice. Importing - Anki Manual

Hi Damien,

Thanks for the reply. I found formatting the .txt with the “unicode” format worked perfectly.

Also, I wanted to extend my gratitude for Anki. I just graduated with my bachelor’s and was accepted into a private school in the spring for my masters. I couldn’t have done it without Anki. It really changed my life. When I was younger I was diagnosed with a learning disability and was told I would never make it in school. I was able to beat those odds and graduated with a 4.0 GPA in Psychology because of your program. It’s really making a huge difference in the world for all types of majors. Your hard work does not go unnoticed out here.

Joe

Notepad Formatting

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue, and thank you for taking the time to share your kind words :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.