Can’t record audio using Ankimobile

Hi, I just bought Ankimobile on the AppStore.

There is a really serious issue that I can’t record the audio that is playing in other apps.

To record the audio, I click the microphone icon on the Add page:

I can record my own voice by the way by the way after clicking the microphone icon,

But it doesn’t record the audio playing in other apps, such Safari, audio preview in the Files app. Sometimes, I see this error:

An error occurred: The operation couldn’t be completed. (anki.SoundError error O.)

And other times, it just captures very short, blank noise. As if the recording is paused by the app playing the audio.

I tried this feature in GoodNotes, where the audio from another app can be recorded. So this seems to be a bug or an issue of Ankimobile itself.

This is my first time using Ankimobile, but I have used the desktop version of Anki for about six years.

Currently, the workaround is to play the audio using another device, and record the voice using Ankimobile. But this is inconvenient.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Maybe I am overlooking something?

I’m not sure this is a bug – I think it’s just not supported. Recording audio from a microphone, and internally capturing audio streaming from another app are different things. I suspect that what GoodNotes is doing is a capture, as opposed to using the mic to record sound playing out of the speakers (which would give you terrible sound quality).

However, if you already have access to the audio in a digital form – it would generally be easier to just download, edit (if needed), and attach that directly to your note in AnkiMobile.

I only recently started using GoodNotes for learning a foreign language. The recorded sounds in GoodNotes have some noise, but it’s acceptable to me. It’s not that bad.

Unfortunately, I am using the website https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/french-english/ to look up words while learning on my iPad. I’m not sure how to get the audio resources or urls on my iPad. It’s easer to get them on a computer (I’m not using a Mac), but synchronizing data across different devices is difficult and not productive.

Syncing your collection between AnkiMobile and Anki Desktop is pretty easy through AnkiWeb. Do you have AnkiMobile set up to sync to AnkiWeb – Cloud Sync - AnkiMobile Manual ? Do you have Anki Desktop installed on your computer – https://apps.ankiweb.net – and set up to sync – Syncing with AnkiWeb - Anki Manual ?

Thank you. I will find a plugin to batch generate the pronunciations of all cards on desktop version Anki. This should be more productive.

If you want batch generated TTS, HyperTTS is probably the best for that.

If you want a TTS voice to just read the card when you study (takes up less space, but often requires an internet connection when you study), you can use Anki’s built-in TTS or Hyper TTS.

If you want to download files of native-speaker audio, there might be add-ons you can use, but they will probably be specific to the site you are getting the audio flies from.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.