Can not edit cards in the card browser window

In several Anki versions already, card browser shows only the list of cards, but does not show the editable card fields anymore, so I can not edit my cards anymore. On some occasions, the card fields and their content eventually become available, but mostly, the browser window gets stuck like this:

This screenshot is from Anki version 2.1.26.

How can I make this behavior stop? Is it because I have large number of cards (a bit less than 8000 cards) with many fields and tags? I still want to keep and be able to use all the cards, but maybe deleting some tags or fields would help?

Debug info:

Anki 2.1.26 (70784154) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1
Platform: Windows 7
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=1
Add-ons, last update check: 2020-07-20 18:50:55

===Add-ons (active)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

Please see https://faqs.ankiweb.net/anki-must-be-able-to-connect-to-a-local-port.html

Thank you, but everything is fine with local port connection - I don’t have a proxy server configured on my machine, and firewall is not blocking local connections.
All the functions that I can do with keyboard shortcuts, are working perfectly, the problem is only with time it takes for Anki to show responsive UIs and reacting to clicks (if that happens at all).
I know that new Anki versions are more resource intensive, but my CPU usage is almost empty, so I do not see that Anki is using any resources. Unfortunately, I can not edit cards, if Anki can not show me their content.

The problem shown in your screenshot is indicative of a problem communicating on a local port. It is thus highly likely to be caused by your antivirus, firewall, VPN, proxy or network configuration. I suggest you experiment with such things, adding an exception for Anki if you use a third-party antivirus, firewall or VPN, and so on.

I turned off both firewall and antivirus (I don’t have a proxy or VPN), but nothing changes - I still have to wait very long for Anki UIs to become responsive. And it seems the time it takes is random - sometimes the editing buttons in card browser screen load after a few seconds, and even editable fields are finally shown, and in that case, I can switch between cards and edit without problems. But mostly, it takes forever, no matter if the firewall/antivirus is on or off.
And after closing card browser window, Anki still shows “Waiting for editing to finish” for a minute or so.
This happens in versions 2.1.15, 2.1.20, 2.1.26 (maybe others as well, I haven’t tested them yet).
What else can I try, if turning off firewall does not help?

You can try the new version 2.1.28 which uses a new backend server.

3 Likes

Sometimes disabling is not enough: https://faqs.ankiweb.net/error-establishing-a-secure-connection-when-syncing.html

Thank you for the suggestion! I updated to Anki 2.1.28, and everything now reacts quickly and without any lags :slight_smile:

1 Like