Anki Forums

Bug: Cards and answers show up empty

I have recently upgraded to 2.1.38 on Windows and I’m encountering a problem that I only occasionally had with 2.1.35:

After I open a deck one or two cards work just fine but then cards and answers show up empty. If I hit “e” I can see that the card is in fact not empty. The card type does not matter. I am using basic (and reverse), cloze and image occlusion enhanced. For now my workaround is to hit sync every time an empty card shows up (which solves the problem until the next card or two) but it is starting to become very frustrating.

I have tried everything listed here: When problems occur / Problems / Knowledge Base - AnkiMobile/AnkiWeb Support

Changin the video driver to OpenGL or ANGLE does not solve the problem and changing it to software provides the following error at restart:

Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlagsQSurfaceFormat::FormatOption(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples 0, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DefaultSwapBehavior, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile) .
This is most likely caused by not having the necessary graphics drivers installed.

Install a driver providing OpenGL 2.0 or higher, or, if this is not possible, make sure the ANGLE Open GL ES 2.0 emulation libraries (libEGL.dll, libGLESv2.dll and d3dcompiler_*.dll) are available in the application executable’s directory or in a location listed in PATH.

I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13 9300 and all drivers are up to date.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Update: After several restarts, changing the language to English (no idea if that made the difference) and the video driver to ANGLE everything runs smoothly again. Weird!

1 Like