[Bug] Cannot search for card on field for certain cards

Version <U+2068>2.1.49 (dc80804a)<U+2069>
Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Windows 10

Not sure if my deck is corrupted or if there’s a bug with Anki searching, but in the card browser if I search for


Then I see the card properly in the results

However, if I search for


Then there are no cards in the browser results.

But if I just do a global search for


Then I see the card in the browser.

For some reason searching for 完全 on the front field doesn’t seem to work but works for 一切. I’ve made sure the front field is exactly 完全 without any whitespacing or any other hidden characters, but it doesn’t seem to work? There’s a few other cards in this deck that also seem to have this problem.

Is my deck corrupted? Or is there an actual bug here with Anki?

I exported the deck here: japaneseDeck.apkg - Google Drive

In the deck you posted, open up 完全 and click the </> button next the front field. You’ll see the following:


The extraneous divs are causing the problem - delete them so it’s just 完全 and the searches should work again.

Unfortunately there’s a lot more cards in the deck with the same problem, so I’d suggest using Find & Replace to remove them. Remember to remove both <div> and </div>. Alternatively you can use front:*完全* for searches, but in the long run you probably want to clean up the deck.

The remove formatting function should really remove these.


Thank you! That works! I’ve got over 300 cards with this problem. Using Find and Replace worked perfectly.

1 Like

This is a good way to remove the formatting if your cards are uniform, but please be aware it may break linebreaks/formatting if some of your cards have multiple lines/paragraphs or styling - if they do, I recommend you look over the cards in the browse screen to make sure they still appear correctly.