AnkiDesktop + Mobile with macOS Sierra or Catalina?

Hello,

I currently use:
i) Macbook Pro, macOS Sierra (v10.12.6)
ii) AnkiDesktop (v2.1.13 - 3ba55990)
iii) iPhone 8 (iOS 14.2)

I am interested purchasing the AnkiMobile and wish to confirm if I am able to sync my 1000+ desktop flashcards to AnkiMobile? Is there any version compatibility I need to be aware of?

Otherwise, if I choose to upgrade to macOS Catalina, what would be required for both Anki Desktop + Mobile without losing my current flashcards that I have created?

Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

Support for 10.12 was recently dropped, so the last computer version you’ll be able to use is 2.1.35. That and older versions will be able to sync with AnkiWeb (and thus your phone) for now, but at some point AnkiWeb will eventually have to drop support for older clients, and at that point you’ll need to update to more recent macOS to be able to continue syncing.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply dae, appreciate it.

So to confirm, if I stay with my current macOSX (v10.12.6), I can only use AnkiDesktop up to v2.1.35. This version will still allow me to sync my cards with AnkiMobile, correct?

Alternatively, if I upgraded to macOSX10.15.x - there won’t be any issues syncing and will of course be longer support cycle (more up to date). Can I confirm which version is most compatible with macOSX 10.15.x? And it would just be a simple process of exporting then importing the cards to the new version once upgraded?

Thanks again!

Yes, that’s correct. Any recent Anki version should work fine on 10.15.x, but you don’t need to update to it immediately if you don’t wish to.

1 Like

Hi dae,

I had to upgrade my mac recently to Catalina 10.15.7 after it crashed.

Although I have iCloud backup, unfortunately I didn’t create a backup of my Macbook.

All the decks are still active on my iPhone as I haven’t synced anything since upgrading my macbook.

Is it possible to restore the decks to my desktop Anki (i.e., either from my iPhone or a backup file that might be found on my iCloud backup?)

Thanks in advance!

Start by using the Export option to export your collection with scheduling and media, in case you accidentally make a mistake. Then you should just be able to tap on sync, choose Upload if prompted, and wait for media to finish syncing. Once you’ve confirmed it has completed, you should be able to repeat the process on your computer, choosing Download.

1 Like

thanks Dae.

I was able to download from AnkiWeb to desktop which has restored my decks.

However, I’m now receiving the below message:
“Your Anki client does not support the new timezone handling yet. Please ensure your Anki is up to date.”

My current versions:
Desktop = Version 2.1.13 (3ba55990)
Mobile = 2.0.87 (20087.1)

Is it the case I need to download a new desktop version? If so, would this affect the decks I have currently saved on my mobile version?

Please update your computer version to 2.1.35-alternate.
https://docs.ankiweb.net/platform/mac/installing.html